Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Heater Water Temp

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Heater Water Temp

Hey everyone....just a quick, general question. I've turned on my heater for the first time and my pool water is about 63 degrees. The temp that shows the pool water after it passes through the heater and SWG shows only 70. Would that indicate that the heater is not heating properly (it's shown 90+ when I ran it last summer) or that the water is so cold that after it passes through the heater it's only increasing it a few degrees and will increase as the pool water temp increases?

Thanks....David
    New Pool: Goldline Aqua Logic, Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter, Hayward Heater, Spa, Polaris QT Blower, Gunite w/ Pebble Tec, 10K Gallons

Old Pool: david-and-kristy-s-pool-build-t8676.html

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool Heater Water Temp

We really need to know more to even guess whether there's a problem or not. Size of heater, GPM through heater or size of pump and length of piping, size of pool, other equipment.

A delta temp of 8º might be all that heater is capable of at that temp. Actually, a delta-T of 8º is pretty good.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks Bama Rambler.....it's a 17,000 gallon pool with a 250,000 BTU NG heater. 1 1/2 HP pump with 2" plumbing that sits about 25 ft' from the pool. Don't know my GPM.
    New Pool: Goldline Aqua Logic, Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter, Hayward Heater, Spa, Polaris QT Blower, Gunite w/ Pebble Tec, 10K Gallons

4. Back To Top    #4

I'd say a seven degree delta is fine. It's not like the water is sitting in there for a while. The water is in and out in about 2 seconds or so. 1 BTU will heat 1 pound of water 1 degree. At 7+ lbs per gallon, it's going to take a while to heat the pool. The pool is your water tank.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

5. Back To Top    #5

Using you specs it will take about 10 hours to raise your pool water from 63 degrees to 80 degrees.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks.....right at 10-11 hours to heat. We're ready for the first swim this season!