Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Digging under concerete sucks!

1. Back To Top    #1

Digging under concerete sucks!

Had to replace a fitting and pipe yesterday.. no fun!!!

2003 Coleman MAAX Collection Model 706 - 400gal

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Digging under concerete sucks!

Oh My!
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

3. Back To Top    #3

True, but you got it done anyway.

Did it the pipe crack or did it slip loose somehow?
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

4. Back To Top    #4

No crack.. that I could see.. but when closing PB was only ever to get 10lbs of pressure when blowing out the lines.. luckily replacing the fitting and a new piece of flex resolved.. I am just glad I didn't have to replace the entire pipe!

5. Back To Top    #5

I feel your pain. You shoulda felt mine
    Attached Images Attached Images
    19,800 gallons (closed/winter 18,654 gal); plaster; 18x34 Ft kidney bean shape, Depth 3Ft-5Ft. Built 1992
    Pentair Whisper Flow Pump 1HP. Winter safety cover w anchors.
    Sand filter, Pentair Sand Dollar Top Mount Model SD80; Effective Filtration Area 3.5SF
    - FlowRate 75GPM, 8Hr 36,000, 10Hr 45,000, 12Hr 54,000; Pressure Weight 50PSI
    BBB (Hayward Chlorinator when leave town). Polaris 360 cleaner.

6. Back To Top    #6

Been there many times my friend. Being skinny has it's advantages Less dirt to move. Twice.

When backfilling, spray some water and tamp frequently or you won't get it all back in there. Then it'll settle and leave a void.

I have an easy one next week, two skimmer lines and a wide 12 foot deck. I'm cutting the deck though which makes it somewhat easier. I just hope it isn't 6" thick, I can only cut 5.5". Murphy hate me too.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

7. Back To Top    #7

I am glad some of you can relate to my pain.. I got the hole backfilled... I did not use water but I did pack the dirt in tight. Pool is now open!

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by jjdurrant
    I am glad some of you can relate to my pain.. I got the hole backfilled... I did not use water but I did pack the dirt in tight. Pool is now open!
    NICE! I just opened my first pool of the season. A Bit early, but im not complaining.. felt so good to get working. Pool opened beauty-ful with no problems!

lets goooooooo spring!
    [center:3gj9kdnn]Matt Heck
    "HECK OF A POOL SERVICE LLC"
    Serving Ocean co. NJ
    COMPANY INFO BELOW
    http://maps.google.com/maps/place?hl=en ... 2995187987[/center:3gj9kdnn]

9. Back To Top    #9

I chickened out.

I have a leak in the pipe that feeds the spill over spa when in pool mode. Rather than try to fix it, I capped it in the spa and am re-plumbing to direct that flow to the spa jets. I'm able to do it all above ground at the equipment pad. Only requires some PVC pipe, fittings and a check valve. My project for the weekend.

Only loss is I can no longer have a fountain effect in the spa. But I never used it anyway because I thought it looked silly, required a pipe in the middle of the spa, and raised the pH like crazy.
    My Pool
    15k Gal Gunite Pool w/8 ft Spa w/Spillover
    Hayward DE Filter + DE Separation Tank
    Legend Sweep, Pentair Gas Heater
    Stenner Metering Pump for Liquid Chlorine Injection (15 gallon tank)

10. Back To Top    #10

Ha. I should add that I dug and filled the hole.. but PB made the actual repairs.. Worth the money to me.

11. Back To Top    #11

I feel your pain! The previous owners poured a 28x14 concrete patio directly on top of the septic tank...can you imagine digging for that port? I had to pull all that concrete up and decided no more concrete on this house! Found a steal on pavers and redid the whole thing, now I just have to pull up some pavers and access my septic! Good job on yours, no fun digging sideways!! I have to dig a 20 foot trench tomorrow for my french drain I put in today, and I'm a girl!

Tara

12. Back To Top    #12

FWIW re the backfilling, plumber suggested I put pea gravel under the PVC pipes to just level or maybe a tad higher; we did NOT want another problem from movement, just some insurance. And then packed well as advised above.
    19,800 gallons (closed/winter 18,654 gal); plaster; 18x34 Ft kidney bean shape, Depth 3Ft-5Ft. Built 1992
    Pentair Whisper Flow Pump 1HP. Winter safety cover w anchors.
    Sand filter, Pentair Sand Dollar Top Mount Model SD80; Effective Filtration Area 3.5SF
    - FlowRate 75GPM, 8Hr 36,000, 10Hr 45,000, 12Hr 54,000; Pressure Weight 50PSI
    BBB (Hayward Chlorinator when leave town). Polaris 360 cleaner.