Opening numbers are...

I'm new to this so I'm not sure if this is the place to post my numbers or not.... wasn't sure if I should have started a new topic???? sooo, here goes.. I run my pump 24/7 even during the winter months. It doesn't get that cold down here in BR. I'm looking into putting it on a timer real soon. Anyhow, water has looked great all winter. Now I'm in the process of becoming a BBBer!!! and I can't wait!
I took my water to a pool place today (waiting for kit to arrive) and here's what I got
FC 0
TC .3
TA 15
pH 7.5
CH 83
CYA 9
Pool store recommended 9 lbs alkalinity, 1/2 immediately, 1/2 6 hours later, filter overnight, shock in morning. My question is how do I know how much bleach to use to bring it to shock level?
Thanks!

Yes, always start your own thread when asking a question! Hooking onto another poster's thread to ask your own question is considered hijacking and not permitted :wink:
Read the Site Rules and Etiquette on the home page :-D

Pool School is your best friend right now.

You can calculate the amount of bleach to reach shock level using Jason's Pool Calculator, link in my sig.

The shock level is based on your CYA level. See the CYA/Chlorine chart in my sig.

To raise TA, you can use baking soda.

Post back any q's you may have.

Welcome to the forum :wave:

esim13,

I'm not so sure you need to shock right now. I suggest you put 1/2 of a small bottle of Clorox in your pool each evening until your own kit arrives. Those pool store results are a little funny looking and I don't think it would be wise to make all those adjustments until you cand do your own, accurate testing.

Meanwhile, Pool School will help you thru the basics of pool water chemistry and probably trigger some new questions. That's what all of us are here to do......help you with those questions.

New kit, new numbers

Threads Merged for consistency

My kit finally arrived and after my first testing here's what I got
FC 0
CC .8
TA 130
pH 7.8
CH 90
I tried testing for CYA but water never got cloudy enough as per directions.
Pool is a little cloudy but I can still see the white swirls in the liner at the bottom of the pool. Now what?
Thanks!

Re: New kit, new numbers

You need to shock your pool. There is an article in Pool School explaining how. Be careful to note it is not a one-time application but a process by which your pool will become crystal clear.

I'd purchase enough CYA (you have none) tp get to about 40-50ppm but I wouldn'r put it in until the shock process was complete and you [pool was crystal clear.

Then you will need to keep chlorine in your pool at all times. It is a consumable item and will need frequent replenishing.

Post back with questions.

While you are at the store, pick up some Muratic Acid. You'll need to Lower your PH to 7.4 before you begin the shock process.

Have you learned how to use the Pool Calculator yet? :wink:

Because your FC is 0, and your CC is .8, this means you need to shock as Dave advised. Usually anytime the CC is above .5 you have to shock (there are some exceptions).

It's possible you have some CYA in there, just not enough to register on the test. You could add two lbs of CYA (see below) and then add a large jug of Clorox which should bring you close to shock level. Follow the instructions on "How to Shock your Pool".... by adding the CYA now, it will protect the FC from being destroyed by the sunlight during the day.

To add the CYA, your pour the granules into an old sock, tie a knot in it, and hang it in front of the return or set to the side in the skimmer, where it will dissolve slowly. Don't retest for it for about 5 days, it can take that long for it to show up on tests. Once the CYA has dissolved, assume your CYA level is at least 20, which means your shock level will be 10 (see the CYA chart). You just keep maintaining the FC of 10 until it holds overnight, which you determine with your FAS-DPD test, per the instructions in Pool School.

Holler if you have any questions. :goodjob:

Or if you happen to have any left over Dichlor granular shock from prior pool seasons, you can use that to raise the FC and CYA at the same time. Let me know if you do have some and we can help you determine how much to use.

Don't bother trying the CYA test again, you'll just waste reagent... :wink:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

You can get CYA at pool stores and at places like Lowes that have pool and spa departments. Walmart usually carries it in their pool section.

Look for Cyanuric Acid (sometimes labeled as stabilizer or conditioner) on the label, you want it to be last 90% active ingredient.

FYI never add acid and bleach at the same time, always wait at least 30 minutes in between....just in case you didn't already know that.

esim,

In the flurry of info and suggested products to buy, please do not lose sight of the fact that you need to shock your pool. It is the single most important task on which you should focus.

Then, when the process is complete, you can make other adjustments but you need to get chlorine in your pool and start the shock process first. Post back if you don't understand how to do it.

Esim,

Your CYA test worked fine....you don't have any. That said, I would leave the CYA issue alone for now.

Shocking the pool is a process you must read about in Pool School. Basically, you need to raise your FC to around 10-15ppm and hold it there until your CC's are .5ppm or less and your water is crystal clear.

After that process is complete (and it may take a couple of days), then you can add the CYA.

The Pool calculator will help you calculate the amounts of chlorine and CYA you will need.

I've read all of the above, added lots of bleach, some CYA and here's where I'm at today:

FC 3.8
CC 0.2
pH 7.2
TA 120
CH 90
CYA 50 (tested yesterday)

As per the influx of info from above posts, do I still need to be at shock level? (I never initially made it over 3ppm) If so this would be at 15ppm as per Chlorine/CYA chart, correct? If I leave pH alone will it lower TA or do I need to do something else? and what about CH, I've added 4 lbs after testing. Just FYI I tested at 5:00pm, water temp 80 degrees. :whoot: WARMING UP!

The PH should rise on it's own, you can turn your eyeball up so the water breaks the surface causing aeration to help it along. The CH is fine where it's at since it's an AG pool.

It's not clear to me - the FC did it EVER reach 15?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.