Test results. Your opinion

98xc600

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 7, 2007
Southern MN
First of all this was my first test with the TF-100 and it couldn't have been easier to use. I have been using test strip for testing until reading how inaccurate they can be. I feel the $68 was cheap insurance for the family and liner :-D .

My results are:
FC 6.5
CC .5
TC 7.0
pH 7.5
T/A 290
CH 60
CYA 55
Temp 90
Clarity Crystal Clear

The numbers have looked like this from June 22 (according to test strips) when everything was clear and stable. I think everything looks good from what I have learned, but should the T/A come down some or is it o.k? and my TC could come down a little (the test strips had my TC at a 3 and my FC at a 3) I have been adding no more than 8 oz of chlorinating granules per day.
I know that I have to test my TC daily, but how often do you test everything else? Let me know what you think and what changes I need to make.
Thanks

98xc600,
Your low CH offsets the high TA. But with TA that high, your pH may tend to rise, depending on your primary source of chlorine. This of course can be controlled with muriatic acid, but you might want to use aeration with muriatic to get the TA down. In the meantime you might want to shock to blow the CC away. Other than that, looks good to me.

As far as testing schedule, that partially depends on the pool's "personality". If you know the pH will rise, for example, you may have to test it more often than others do. The TA will pretty much stay where it is, or change very slowly. I only check TA when adjusting pH. CH isn't going to move much either. Same with cya.

I'm sure there's no hard fast rule for it but how long would you aerate to lower your TA to acceptable levels? I would be using just one return jet, turned up to the surface to do the job. it pushes the water up about 6" above the surface.

sredish said:
you should do a test with the strip and with the new test kit for a comparo

I did just to see the difference and the result were
total hardness between 250 & 1000 ppm (little to far of a test range to even call it a test result)
TC 3
FC 3
PH 7.2 - 7.8
TA off the chart at 180
CYA 50

It wasn't close enough for me to ever use test strips again, now that I have the TF-100 you can see exactly what you have for a level and not guessing at what shade of color it is compared to the bottle. :goodjob:

98xc600 said:
I'm sure there's no hard fast rule for it but how long would you aerate to lower your TA to acceptable levels? I would be using just one return jet, turned up to the surface to do the job. it pushes the water up about 6" above the surface.

It depends both on how much aeration you can achieve and on how much attention you pay to it. The more frequently you can bring down the PH back to 7.0-7.2 the more quickly it will go. For some people that amount of reduction seems to take a few days and others work at it for a couple of weeks.

Do I have to drop my TA, is it going to cause any problems at this level? My pH has been stable. I also bought 6 gallons of clorox (6%) to start using instead of the 4 in 1 chlorinating granules that have all the other stuff in it that I don't need to be adding. can I just start using it or is their some sort of transition I need to do? If I can how much do I add to equal the 8oz of granular per day? The granular had 71.8% trichloro-s-triazinetrione.

Thanks for your help!

With a vinyl liner and low CH levels the only issue most people see with high TA is rising PH. If your PH is reasonably stable then there isn't any need to do anything about the TA right now. I suspect that your PH will drift up, even if slowly. As long as you keep an eye on it and don't let it get above 7.8 there shouldn't be any problems.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.