Researching pros and cons of both Liquid Chlorine vs Cal-hypo (no cya) sanitation

Drd,

Clearly there some significant gaps in the research you have uncovered regarding chlorine and chlorinated pool products. So let me take your assertions one at a time -

I do want to say there are people in AZ with non cya liquid chlorine pools which are professionals.

Yes, there are many indoor and commercial/public pools that are required by law not to use CYA because of their public health codes and/or pools that choose to operate without CYA because they use automated chemical dispensing systems (such as ORP controlled chlorine injectors). They are also commercial pools and NOT residential pools so they can operate using a much higher feed rate of chemicals. Because of their setups, they will typically operate pools with 1-2ppm FC and no CYA. That produces a hypochlorous acid (HOCl) concentration 14 times higher than a residential pool which maintains a 7% FC/CYA ratio. A pool running 1.5ppm FC and no CYA will have 0.73ppm HOCl in it which is incredibly harsh on swimmers. You are almost certain to smell the production of chloramines on your skin and bathing suits with HOCl concentrations that high not to mention bleached out and faded swim suits and hair.

The problems keeping a pool balanced is due to the build up of the cya that you can't get rid rid of and restricts the FC chlorine from working and then you have to compensate with more chlorine until it just doesn't sanitize any longer no matter how much you put in and then your only recourse after maybe two years is to drain and refill or in my case i elected a better course of not wasting water and not adding TDS back in from the tap and wasting thousands of otherwise good water.

Yes, CYA build up is a problem and TFP teaches people to clearly monitor and keep their CYA in check. The easiest way to do that is to set your CYA level using either granular or liquid stabilizer and then use liquid chlorinating product to maintain an FC/CYA ratio of 7.5%. Doing that produces a hypochlorous acid concentration of ~0.055ppm which is more than enough to inactivate pathogens (bacteria and viri) as well as keep algae at bay. Once a pools CYA level is set, the only way CYA can be added is through pool owner negligence in not understanding the effects of their chemical additions.

CYA does not "restrict" chlorine. CYA is a chlorine buffer that holds chlorine in reserve and will protect it from UV photolysis. What CYA does is alter the ratio of active chlorine (hypochlorous acid and hypochlorite) to reserve chlorine (chlorine bound to CYA). Once the active chlorine concentration drops too low from a high CYA level, that is when algae and pathogens can flourish. Even with a CYA of 200ppm one could theoretically add enough chlorine to achieve an FC/CYA ratio of 7.5% and the water would be sanitary. The problem with high CYA is that the FC levels required become impractical to maintain and that is when problems start.

TDS is irrelevant to pools. TFP teaches pool owners to measure all of their water parameters separately and so TDS is of no importance. TDS was used in the days before high quality test kits were easily available and it was a proxy for the build up of chemicals like CYA in the pool water. TDS all by itself is a meaningless quantity.

I don't want to be glued to a test kit and a warehouse of chemicals to counter actl the side effects of it.

The foundational teaching of TFP is understanding the effects of chemical additions to your pool water and testing your own pool water to know exactly what is in it and what needs to be added. Without a high quality test kit, you have to rely on others to tell you what is in the water (i.e., Pool Stores) and we have tens of thousands of pool owners who will attest to the low quality and contradictory results obtained at most Pool Stores.

As for stock piling chemicals, the chemicals I have on hand at home are muriatic acid....that's it. People who chlorinate their pools manually will keep bleach and acid on hand. Depending on the area of the country one lives in, there may be a need to raise pH and that can be done with washing soda or borax. All the chemicals required for a pool can be easily found in a grocery store or hardware store.

Salt is absorbed into the body and could pose a health problem in such large quantities especially with a SWG, also SWG are expensive and I hear don't last long before needing replacement and prone to High PH.

There is no clinically significant dermal absorption of salt by the human body. Pools that use salt water chlorine generators maintain salt levels at 3500ppm. Ocean salinity is ~ 35,000ppm. If dermal absorption of salt were a key health issue, humans would have died long ago from exposure to sea water.

SWG's do represent a large upfront cost but, when compared against the purchase of liquid chlorine over the life of the SWG cell, you simply find that the entire cost of the unit is basically the same as buying all of that liquid chlorine up front. My SWG has lasted 4 years so far and is in perfect working order; we have had members will cells that have lasted 10 years. The life of cell is impacted by how much it is used (they typically are rated at an 8-10k hour lifetime) and how well water balance is maintained relative to calcium scaling (calcite saturation index or CSI). In a properly balanced pool, SWG's will last a long time.

pH rise in a swimming pool is entirely dominated by CO2 outgassing from the water as pool water is over-saturated with carbonate alkalinity. When people report that SWG's caused a rise in pH it is mainly because they were so used to using acidic chlorine products (trichlor tablets and dichlor powder) that their pools pH and TA were kept low from that. With the SWG replacing those acidic sources of chlorine with a net-neutral pH source, the rise in pH caused by natural outgassing of CO2 becomes dominant and regular acid additions are needed to keep the pH in check. Even if you factor in the cost of additional acid, manual chlorination with liquid chlorine is equivalent in cost to running an SWG.

Cal-Hypo I understand doesn't effect other chemicals so I only see I don't get over chlorinated due to cya and excessive salt in and on my body and I don't have the hazards of liquid chlorine and muriatic acid chemicals. I really would like to hear from someone and their experience with Cal-Hypo.

Cal-hypo adds calcium hypochlorite, calcium chloride, calcium carbonate and calcium hydroxide to pool water. It is a very high pH source of chlorine and most people that use it find that it causes water cloudiness for about 24 hours after adding it. A cal-hypo puck grinder and feeder might avoid the water scaling issues (for a time) but you are still adding all of those chemicals and the calcium hydroxide and carbonate will raise both TA and pH requiring regular acid additions to bring them down. Given Arizona's very high pan evaporation rates and high pH and CH fill water, you will more than likely need A LOT of acid on hand to keep the pH in check and your calcium hardness build up will be quite high. That alone will require you to either spend more money on RO treatments (which are not cost effective for most pool owners) or do significant water exchanges to bring the CH back into line.

At the end of the day, you can do as you wish with your pool but I can tell you quite honestly that what you are proposing to do will end in failure. You can either choose to believe what tens of thousands of pools owners have empirically determined to be the best way to manage their pools (Trouble Free Pool Care Method) OR you can choose to go off on your own and let chips fall where they may.

Here are some links for further reading that will hopefully shed some light on those gaps in your current research -

Certified Pool Operator (CPO) training -- What is not taught

Pool Water Chemistry

Economics of Saltwater Chlorine Generators

DRD it seems you have made up your mind to use cal/hypo
if you dont keep a reasonable amount of stabiliser in your pool you will be using a lot of cal/hypo
as a result your hardness level will be unmanageable in a very short time
cal/hypo msds list fire hazard, release of toxic gas and chemicals burns
as with all chemicals safe handling is a must
you cant list the hazards of one chemical and pretend another doesn't have any
you dont like salt yet cal/hypo provides almost equal amounts of chlorine as salt
ie 3ppm chlorine and 3ppm salt
you are correct that bleach has even more salt 3ppm chlorine and 5ppm salt
as for SWG the water being too salty
bear in mind the ocean is around 35000ppm and a salt pool around 3000ppm
human sweat is around 1000ppm
most of the healthiest cultures are living in coastal areas
as i said at the start you seem to have made up your mind
good luck
as long as you are aware of what you are doing

In AZ with the hard water and high evaporation there is no way I would ever use cal-hypo in my pool. Without it, the CH will climb high enough in 4 years or so that the water needs replaced to prevent scaling. I would not want to drain and fill my pool every 1-2 years.

Teald024, Thanks again for your perspective. Please I hope those in this forum UNDERSTAND MY POOL WATER IS NOT THE NORMAL ARIZONA POOL WITH A HARD WATER PROBLEM----My pool water was just purified through a pool reverse osmosis process and I filter the water I add to the pool when it evaporates. So I do not have the usual problems people in Arizona have with the tap water they use.

My quest is not to have to drain and refill as a solution due to problems with cya and high and lows of chlorine levels and how it effects my water and pool.

Jblizzle, i can't seem to get across I am not the Arizona norm with hard water in my pool! I have virtually drinking water crystal clear and I only add purified water through a out door filter from evaporation.....Hard water is not MY problem and not going to be a factor for me and if and when I need to clean my water I will do by an RO pool purification co again where I don't drain and waste 10,000 gals of water and it's better quality water than out of the tap.

Please I hope those in this forum UNDERSTAND MY POOL WATER IS NOT THE NORMAL ARIZONA POOL WITH A HARD WATER PROBLEM----My pool water was just purified through a pool reverse osmosis process and I filter the water I add to the pool when it evaporates. So I do not have the usual problems people in Arizona have with the tap water they use.

My quest is not to have to drain and refill as a solution due to problems with cya and high and lows of chlorine levels and how it effects my water and pool.

But you WILL be one of those with high CH issues if you use Cal-Hypo. CH is obviously a key ingredient in those tabs. On the order of 1000ppm CH per year just from the tabs

What are you using to purify your fill water? A water softener? A home RO system?

Teald024, Thanks again for your perspective. Please I hope those in this forum UNDERSTAND MY POOL WATER IS NOT THE NORMAL ARIZONA POOL WITH A HARD WATER PROBLEM----My pool water was just purified through a pool reverse osmosis process and I filter the water I add to the pool when it evaporates. So I do not have the usual problems people in Arizona have with the tap water they use.

If you manage you CYA properly using the TFP method - you WILL NOT HAVE TO DRAIN YOUR POOL!!!!! In fact if you plan to use Cal-Hypo, you WILL BE DRAINING your pool every few years.

Also, you fail to understand that purified water won't mean squat once the water gets contaminated from outside sources. Quoted from the Pool School, ".... a swimming pool is an open system, meaning anything can and will drop into the pool at any time, (such as bird droppings, sweat, urine and feces from bathers, dogs jumping into the water, etc)..." This means your "pure" water will not stay pure for very long.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Please explain what is the key to not having to drain and refill (or using RO process) using a TFP method. Even liquid chlorine builds up excessive salt that will requiring draining or filtering out eventually.

Sorry, missed if you said that you have soft water. In any case, A RO treatment for your pool costs way more than a drain and refill.

I guess I am starting to fail to see the point of this thread. It is clear you have a plan in mind that is not a typical recommendation that TFP would make. And you are highly unlikely to convert anyone here to your idea of maintenance.

Everyone is free to manage their pool how they wish. Although TFPC is proven in 10000s of pools....

Please explain what is the key to not having to drain and refill (or using RO process) using a TFP method. Even liquid chlorine builds up excessive salt that will requiring draining or filtering out eventually.

Because the TPF method recommends not adding products that can adversely effect your pool. For most people that means they don't use products that contain CYA. In locations subject to high evaporation and high CH, that Cal-Hypo isn't the best form to get FC in your pool.

Therefore, there is never a need to drain and refill, because you never put anything in it you shouldn't have. Frequent testing is also a key component. Then making any necessary adjustments to make sure your water is within proper levels.

As far as using liquid chlorine and the need to drain to reduce salt, that just isn't the case. No one has ever drained their pool for the sole purpose of reducing salt levels. There just isn't a need to do this. The claims of excessive salt causing issues is just not what really causes equipment issues.

Re: Why do you never recommend Cal-Hypo?

chem geek, you need to examine the ratio of salt you put into your pool for ppm of chlorine and you will find is very high

- - - Updated - - -

You are not taking in all scenarios such as pools that do not suffer with hard water composition (been purified and filled with purified so not hard water).

I am only aware of 2 reasons why one would drain their pool.

1) If the CYA is too high
2) If the CH is too high

Using Liquid Chlorine will do neither. Using Cal-Hypo will eventually make your CH too high and you will have to drain. No one ever had to drain due to salt levels.

Drd, just for the record, Reverse Osmosis is hardly a "new process" and plenty of folks here have used such services to clear their pool of high levels of x,y and z.

Evaporation of pool water will cause your calcium level to skyrocket if you don't take your climate into consideration and use CalHypo.

It seems you have a problem against chlorine, yet not calcium. You do realize CalHypo contains chlorine and if you want that chlorine to prevent algae you're going to have to use CYA stablizer . There is no way to avoid it and maintain your water in any safe fashion.

Your body is 0.09% salt already.... swimming in a pool with less than half that amount of salt is absolutely NO risk to your health.

Maddie :flower: <a vicious pro-vaccinator too, lol>

When the water evaporates, the calcium will stay behind. When you add more water, softened or not, it will not dilute out all the extra calcium you have added over the year. You WILL eventually, have a build up. (Similar to the CYA problem, but with calcium)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.