Hey... thanks guys.

seilsel

In The Industry
May 22, 2009
I just wanted to say thanks.

I'm going into my third summer working at a pool store company. I've followed this forum constantly through the whole journey. Here's where I started: if-you-have-the-time-a-hypothetical-t12484.html

Strangely, I have the lowest average per customer sale amount, but have incredible customer count and overall sales numbers =).

I've gone from part-time help to a store manager, and I always try to do right by the folks that come through my store. It just goes to show you that honesty and technical knowledge can beat a short-term sales approach. I'm leading the pack by trying to save my customers money within the framework of my company's policies.

Thanks again for the site.

Thank you for being honest and helpful to your customers and letting them choose the cost/convenience trade-offs that work for them. At least that way, they know they are paying only for what they really need given their criteria (i.e. low maintenance using Trichlor vs. lowest cost using bleach). It's great that you've been able to be successful, helpful and honest all at the same time!

chem_geek;

You have no idea how much you've helped me these last few years. I hope that whatever you're doing, you're making a ton of money.

And you're exactly right. I present everything in a cost vs. convenience way. The stupid thing is that even if people choose convenience over cost, they're still beating what they'd pay for a pool service. And I have lost more than a few customers to this website at my own suggestion.

Again, an incredible resource; it blows my mind that people like you are willing to spend so much time helping others, even though I've caught the bug.

seilsel said:
Strangely, I have the lowest average per customer sale amount, but have incredible customer count and overall sales numbers =).

I've gone from part-time help to a store manager, and I always try to do right by the folks that come through my store. It just goes to show you that honesty and technical knowledge can beat a short-term sales approach. I'm leading the pack by trying to save my customers money within the framework of my company's policies.

Thanks again for the site.
My Company President has a favorite saying, "People do business with people they trust." Since we have 11% of the market share in the Los Angeles region, he seems to be right.

Keep doing right by people, don't sell them junk they don't need. But there's also no harm in trying to make a sale - that's what a salesman's job is. Point out the sale on those foam noodle things. Ask if their brush is worn flat. Have a display of those suntan lotion soaker-uppers by the register. This time of year is a good time to suggest fresh test reagents.

Oh yeah, I have no problem trying to convince someone that some rock-shaped speakers will impress their friends =). Because they KNOW they don't need it.

But I won't sell calcium chloride to someone with a vinyl pool or phosphate removers to someone who has a SWG and brings their water in three times a week because its their hobby.

There's a big difference.

(( You wouldn't believe the fights I've had over the calcium. But as long as the numbers are good... =) ))

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.