Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: First test results with my new TF-100

1. Back To Top    #1

First test results with my new TF-100

Got my new kit today, went out to play with it as soon as it was out of the box! Just for kicks, I compared pH, TA, and CH to the Walmart HTH kit.

TF-100
    pH - 8.2
    FC - 3.5
    CC - .5
    TC - 4
    TA - 230
    CH - 210
    CYA - 40

HTH

pH - 8.2
    TA - 240
    CH - 170

The pH is so high because I'm working on lowering the TA after the refill (had to drain to install new pump, long story), and slightly went over on the CH (probably because of the HTH kit).

Over the next several days, I'm going to continue to test the CH using both kits, just to see if it confirms my suspicion about the HTH kit. I've had issues with that test since the day I got the kit, and have been wondering if the indicator and/or the reagent may be old. Most (if not all of you) know which kit I trust!

Anyhow, I've already told Dave, but this kit is GREAT! Easy to follow instructions, great layout, plenty of solution for all the tests! To all those who are considering getting one of his kits, it's definitely worth the cost! It may seem a little high, but only one person can take control of your water, and that is YOU!
    John

24' round Vogue AGP 12,000 gal. Flotec AT251001-01 1HP pump, Hayward S310T2 sand filter, Aquarite SWG T-15
    TF-100 (found at TF Test Kits) with Speedstir and Samplesizer

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: First test results with my new TF-100

I totally agree with you Have fun with your kit
    5,775 gal, IG free form, Beach Series Antigua by Marbletite Pebble finish, 2 swim out benches, Sheer Descent, IG Fountain, Dolphin / Mermaid Statues, StaRite Dura- Glas 1.5hp pump, Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter replaced with Hayward Pro-grid DE4820, Aqua Rite SWG with T-Cell 15, Polaris 360, Pentair 300w Light upgraded to Pentair IntelliBrite (OMG what a huge difference) , Heat Siphon Heat Pump DX 5.0 109,000 btu, Pool Cage, 1800sq ft Tremron Estate Pavers, solar cover, TF-100 test kit, Pentair Deck Jet, Apollo Magnetic Stirrer (Makes testing a breeze), Aquatherm Ecosun Solar Panels 192 sq ft with GL-235 Controller,Margarita Concoction Machine,
    Pics of our Spool ( Social Pool) being built Solar install Outdoor kitchen upgrade

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Cheddar,

Thank you for the very nice words about the kit. (the check is in the mail!!!)

Go ahead and get the pH down into the mid 7's sooner rather than later. Use muriatic.......your TA will come down as well but, most importantly, you don't want your ph in the 8's for any reason.

I'm puzzled about the CH contributing to high pH or CH being too high (it's not and it has no affect on pH) but I think I am misunderstanding your post.

Anyway, when you get that pH down, you should be in good shape.

How does your water look?
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

I think you misunderstood (just a little!) about what I was referring to. The pH was high because I had the jets on high aerating, so I can continue to get that TA down. pH rose from 7.2 to 8.2 in a little under 30 minutes. Based off of previous fills, TA of 60-70 is the tub's sweet spot.

As far as the CH, I was just pointing out the variation in the two kits. I went back and checked the amount of CH increaser I added, and your kit is dead on. It's really easy to figure out when you start out with CH of 0! The test in the HTH kit I bought a couple of months ago or so just doesn't seem to work right. I tried repeating that test with it earlier and got wildly different results, all the way from 150 to 240. Maybe you just get what you pay for, I dunno.
    John

24' round Vogue AGP 12,000 gal. Flotec AT251001-01 1HP pump, Hayward S310T2 sand filter, Aquarite SWG T-15
    TF-100 (found at TF Test Kits) with Speedstir and Samplesizer