Is my filter plumber correctly?

From_Arizona

LifeTime Supporter
May 8, 2007
Glendale, AZ
My solar company just told me that my filter backwash connection is plumbed incorrectly....I have been looking at pentairs website to find specs on installation, but cannot find specific details on what connects to the top vs. bottom openning. Can anyone add their thoughts?

I have the plumber coming out on Monday to repair a pipe my decking guys broke today and will discuss with him at that time, I just like to know what I am talking about and do not want to be pushed around if he is unsure.

Here is a picture of the Pentair Quad DE filter at the backwash connection.
<a>
July26011.jpg
</a>
<a>
July26010.jpg
</a>

It looks wrong to me but I haven't had much experience with those and I'm only going on how I think the valve works. The filter side is OK and the pump is plumbed to the correct fitting (center) but the return and the backwash pipe should be swapped.

Otherwise, water will go backwards through the filter in backwash mode and out the return line. In normal mode, the water will go forward through the filter but out the backwash pipe.

I agree with mas985.

Naming everything relative to the push pull valve in the picture, I am assuming that currently the middle left hand pipe comes from the pump, the top left goes to the return, and the bottom smaller pipe is the waste line. I believe that the Quad DE has the filter inlet on the top, so in normal operation the outlet, bottom right, would feed the bottom smaller pipe, which is wrong if that is plumbed to the backwash line. And backwash position on the valve would run water backwards through the filter and wash all the DE into the pool.

Yes, plumber came out today and agreed that the plumbing was connected wrong. They will be back out later this week to redo the whole connection....at least it is not currently delaying my swim ability.

Sure doesn't increase my confidence in his crew abilities, he has someone new out here today to correct the pipe that broke during the decking install. Can't believe all the issues with the crew that did the install.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.