Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Conflicting Advice from 2 pool shops.....

1. Back To Top    #1

Conflicting Advice from 2 pool shops.....

So we have a large pool - 21x41. The return and skimmer is on one end of the pool. So the other end, there is never any water movement. So we were thinking about putting another return in on that side of the pool to keep the water moving.

I called one pool place and they said it would be at least $400-$500 to put it in. I called another to get another price, and they said that you cannot put one in, because it would compromise the integrity of the wall, and no manufacturer would ever recommend it.

Suggestions?

1) go ahead and get it done
    2) Try getting a bigger pump (I think we have a 1.5HP now) ***Correction - I went and looked - its a 2HP!!***
    3) just let it go

Also - do I need to change the sand in my filter? It's never been changed, and it's about 4-5 years old, I guess?

THANKS!!
    21x41x54" AG Artesian Seville II
    Installed around 2004 - we moved here in 2008
    23,000 gal
    Hayward SwimPro 256T Sand Filter
    1HP 2speed Hayward Power Flo Matrix
    (and have 2HP Hayward Swimpro and a 2hp 2speed Waterway Hi-Flo pump as back up also!! lol)
    No heating - other than Solar SunRings
    Central IL

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Conflicting Advice from 2 pool shops.....

How are you aiming your return?
    21' Leslies Beachland Ag Pool, 10,000 gallons, professionally installed (best money I ever spent) Hayward 16" sand filter w/Pentair two speed pump Fafco 4x20 solar heater,Aqua Trol RJ. Borates added. Hard plumbed.

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes it can be done but it should be done when you are getting a new liner. It is also dependent on soil conditions and deck width.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

4. Back To Top    #4

Given the age of your liner I'd be a bit leary of trying to put a return in it at this point. That's probably the real reason the one place didn't want to touch it.

As an alternative, I would suggest getting a pressure side cleaner (like a Polaris 360) and running it off the existing return. That way at least you'd get some circulation in the far end whenever the cleaner was down there. This is just a suggestion and other folks may have better advice.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

You shouldn't need to change the sand. Periodically open the filter and check for channelling, etc.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    Given the age of your liner I'd be a bit leary of trying to put a return in it at this point. That's probably the real reason the one place didn't want to touch it.

As an alternative, I would suggest getting a pressure side cleaner (like a Polaris 360) and running it off the existing return. That way at least you'd get some circulation in the far end whenever the cleaner was down there. This is just a suggestion and other folks may have better advice.
    Our liner is not even a year old. The old one disintegrated last winter, so we got a new one put in in June of 2009. I guess we should have done it then, but we didn't think/know about it!!!
    23,000 gal
    (and have 2HP Hayward Swimpro and a 2hp 2speed Waterway Hi-Flo pump as back up also!! lol)
    Central IL

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by No P in my ool
    How are you aiming your return?
    We tried alot of different ways last year. Tried pointing it right to the middle, along the long edge, on top, on bottom - nothing made the water on the north end move!
    23,000 gal
    Central IL

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by PoolGuyNJ
    It is also dependent on soil conditions and deck width.

Scott

I don't understand this......
    23,000 gal
    Central IL

9. Back To Top    #9

I'm a bit leary of cleaners - the sand beneath our liner is very rough - they did not smooth it out - and when I vaccuum it, the liner sometimes pulls up and "smothers" the vaccuum and I am pretty sure that if I put something in there that it would end up burning up my pool pump - if not ruining the liner. (But I could be way off!!! I am so clueless when it comes to all this!)
    23,000 gal
    Central IL

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by cherylandco
    Our liner is not even a year old. The old one disintegrated last winter, so we got a new one put in in June of 2009.
    There's another one for assuming! I read that the pool was put up in 2004 and assumed the liner was that old.

Since it's not even a year old yet I see no reason it couldn't be done. You could look around for independant installers and see if they're interested. Who installed your liner?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

11. Back To Top    #11

Our liner is not even a year old. The old one disintegrated last winter, so we got a new one put in in June of 2009.
    There's another one for assuming! I read that the pool was put up in 2004 and assumed the liner was that old.

Since it's not even a year old yet I see no reason it couldn't be done. You could look around for independant installers and see if they're interested. Who installed your liner?
    See post above yours! I don't believe I want him doing anything else on our pool - he was inexpensive enough to replace the liner, but we found out there was a reason he was inexpensive! He didn't add any sand (although I thought it needed it - didn't build up the cover very well - and didn't even try to minimize footprints undre the liner - THEN they dropped a drill in and put a hole in the floor of my brand new liner!). I think I'll not have him do it, KWIM?
    23,000 gal
    Central IL

12. Back To Top    #12

In the Industry

Cheryl,

Are you considering the new skimmer because it seems the right thing to do or is it because you are having water quality issues?
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    Cheryl,

Are you considering the new skimmer because it seems the right thing to do or is it because you are having water quality issues?
    Just a return is what we were thinking - and I did struggle a bit with my water towards the end of summer. It was PERFECT until we went away for the weekend in mid-July. After that, it just kept getting mustard algae on the "other" end of the pool. I kept it from getting out of hand, but it was ALOT of work and effort!!!!!!! I don't want that to happen again this year!
    23,000 gal
    Central IL

14. Back To Top    #14

It is also dependent on soil conditions and deck width.

Scott

I don't understand this......
    Maybe Scott thinks it's an inground pool?
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner

15. Back To Top    #15

I did indeed think it was. 21x41 pools are not normally on ground.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

16. Back To Top    #16

In the Industry

Just a return is what we were thinking - and I did struggle a bit with my water towards the end of summer. It was PERFECT until we went away for the weekend in mid-July. After that, it just kept getting mustard algae on the "other" end of the pool. I kept it from getting out of hand, but it was ALOT of work and effort!!!!!!! I don't want that to happen again this year!
    Sorry, Cheryl, I meant "return" but incorrectly wrote "skimmer"

The new return would be helpful, without a doubt. That said, keeping a very close eye on your pool water chemistry may "fix" the algae issue just as well and without spending the money. Do you test your FC and stabilizer level frequently during the hot part of summer?
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

17. Back To Top    #17

I did indeed think it was. 21x41 pools are not normally on ground.

Scott
    Well, my brother put it in - and he doesn't do ANYthing "normal"!!! Now that I've inherited the pool, I wish he would have put in a normal size pool!!!!! lol
    23,000 gal
    Central IL

18. Back To Top    #18

Do you brush your pool?
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by Casey
    Do you brush your pool?
    Do you mean like brushing the sides? I did it a few times when I was fighting the algae.....
    23,000 gal
    Central IL

20. Back To Top    #20

Well, brushing the pool once a day, just along the floor the entire perimeter, will aid in circulation (and it's a good bicep/shoulder workout)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast