LifeTime Supporter
Apr 25, 2009
Burlington, ON, Canada
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
I opened on Monday, and have only added chlorine to the pool. Water was mildly cloudy at first, but has nicely cleared up.

Took a sample to the pool store today.

Water temp 45 f

2.65 total chlorine
2.53 free chlorine
Alkalinity - 60
PH - 7.2
Calcium 165
Cyan - not done - was told the water was too cold for a reliable reading??
Phosphate - 1000 (I know, don't worry about this one - but they did take a reading)
Salt - 3200

Now, they suggested I use the 'opening' kit, which contains 1kg oxidizer, 1 litre of stain and scale remover, 1 litre of 40% algicide. Is this really necessary?

They also suggested I raise the alkalinity - how high should I go, considering I have a salt water pool? The chlorine generator is NOT on at this time (water too cold).

Thanks.

rcy said:
I opened on Monday, and have only added chlorine to the pool. Water was mildly cloudy at first, but has nicely cleared up.
Nice!! You were smart adding chlorine only. Not knowing what your CYA is but figuring it was at the recommended level for a SWG last year I'd raise your FC up to about 5 ppm to be safe until you can get it tested.

rcy said:
Cyan - not done - was told the water was too cold for a reliable reading??
Well, it is cold but all they had to do was let the water warm up and it would have been fine. This is one reason for owning your own test kit. You're not depending on someone else to do it and you know how accurate it is when you do it. Pool store numbers have proven to be wildly inaccurate.

rcy said:
Now, they suggested I use the 'opening' kit, which contains 1kg oxidizer, 1 litre of stain and scale remover, 1 litre of 40% algicide. Is this really necessary?
Not necessary or even wanted.

rcy said:
They also suggested I raise the alkalinity - how high should I go, considering I have a salt water pool?
The recommended goal is 60 to 80 so you're just at the lower end. I wouldn't recommend raising it yet.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.