Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cool new videos on water testing by Taylor

1. Back To Top    #1

Cool new videos on water testing by Taylor

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cool new videos on water testing by Taylor

Those are nice vids. Thanks for putting the link up.
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

3. Back To Top    #3

If anyone found the "daylight simulator" as cool as I did, the one they used was:
    GEPE - Pro 4X5 Slim Light Box

It is about $50 and sold at photography supply places online.

I must now have one.
    32' x 15', 25k gallon gunite IG pool, California Quartz plaster in Tahoe color
    Pentair equip (Intelliflow VS+AU pump, DE filter, IC40 SWG)
    Spa wall removed to make "seating" area

4. Back To Top    #4

Where were those videos a month ago when I needed them?

That link could definitely go right into Pool School.

I did think it was funny how much DPD powder he used, though. Heaping dippers full.

I also saw that they have a video for their Speedstir magnetic stirrer. Very tempted to get one, but $40 with shipping is a little steep.
    TFP Method Advanced Intermediate
    • 17,500 gallons - In Ground - Plaster - Hayward Swimclear 3020 Cartridge Filter - Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas Main Pump upgraded with A.O. Smith B2980 E-Plus New Centurion Two-Speed Motor - Polaris 280 Cleaner with Polaris PB4-60 Booster Pump - TightWatt2 Timer - Taylor K-2006 Test Kit - Pool Pilot Digital Nano SWCG

Helpful Links: Pool School, BBB for Beginners, How to Shock (hint...it's a process not a product), Chlorine/CYA Chart, Jason's Pool Calculator

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by svenpup
    I also saw that they have a video for their Speedstir magnetic stirrer. Very tempted to get one, but $40 with shipping is a little steep.
    Actually, that's a very good price! I have the Apollo magnetic stirrer which IIRC is sold by a member of this forum. It was about that same price, and is worth every penny!

EDIT: OK, I'm an idiot...I didn't see that it was Paul( seller of the Apollo unit ) who started this thread! Love your magnetic stirrer, Paul!
    20K gal IG plaster pool, Manually chlorinated with 6% bleach, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite Dura-Glas II pump, Pentair FNS Plus 48 DE filter, Polaris 280

6. Back To Top    #6

The Apollo Magnetic Stirrer makes testing a breeze. I love my stirrer
    Everyone who owns a pool needs to invest in one....
    5,775 gal, IG free form, Beach Series Antigua by Marbletite Pebble finish, 2 swim out benches, Sheer Descent, IG Fountain, Dolphin / Mermaid Statues, StaRite Dura- Glas 1.5hp pump, Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter replaced with Hayward Pro-grid DE4820, Aqua Rite SWG with T-Cell 15, Polaris 360, Pentair 300w Light upgraded to Pentair IntelliBrite (OMG what a huge difference) , Heat Siphon Heat Pump DX 5.0 109,000 btu, Pool Cage, 1800sq ft Tremron Estate Pavers, solar cover, TF-100 test kit, Pentair Deck Jet, Apollo Magnetic Stirrer (Makes testing a breeze), Aquatherm Ecosun Solar Panels 192 sq ft with GL-235 Controller,Margarita Concoction Machine,
    Pics of our Spool ( Social Pool) being built Solar install Outdoor kitchen upgrade

7. Back To Top    #7

Ok...Ok...you talked me into it. I ordered the stirrer. Sheesh!
    • 17,500 gallons - In Ground - Plaster - Hayward Swimclear 3020 Cartridge Filter - Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas Main Pump upgraded with A.O. Smith B2980 E-Plus New Centurion Two-Speed Motor - Polaris 280 Cleaner with Polaris PB4-60 Booster Pump - TightWatt2 Timer - Taylor K-2006 Test Kit - Pool Pilot Digital Nano SWCG

Helpful Links: Pool School, BBB for Beginners, How to Shock (hint...it's a process not a product), Chlorine/CYA Chart, Jason's Pool Calculator

8. Back To Top    #8

You will be happy when you get it. Did you get the Apollo? I like this one because it is small and portable, runs on batteries
    5,775 gal, IG free form, Beach Series Antigua by Marbletite Pebble finish, 2 swim out benches, Sheer Descent, IG Fountain, Dolphin / Mermaid Statues, StaRite Dura- Glas 1.5hp pump, Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter replaced with Hayward Pro-grid DE4820, Aqua Rite SWG with T-Cell 15, Polaris 360, Pentair 300w Light upgraded to Pentair IntelliBrite (OMG what a huge difference) , Heat Siphon Heat Pump DX 5.0 109,000 btu, Pool Cage, 1800sq ft Tremron Estate Pavers, solar cover, TF-100 test kit, Pentair Deck Jet, Apollo Magnetic Stirrer (Makes testing a breeze), Aquatherm Ecosun Solar Panels 192 sq ft with GL-235 Controller,Margarita Concoction Machine,
    Pics of our Spool ( Social Pool) being built Solar install Outdoor kitchen upgrade

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Brentr
    [Snip] Did you get the Apollo? [Snip]
    Nope...he doesn't sell his own anymore. They have the Taylor one on the Apollo web site, but it is ~$30 more than on the Taylor web site.

10. Back To Top    #10

What ever type you get you will be very surprised how quickly and easy your testing will be. You will be like the Pros

11. Back To Top    #11

For whatever reason, I can't get the videos to work either in Firefox 3.6.2 nor Safari 4.0.5, both using Adobe Flash player 10.0.45.2. This is all on Mac OS 10.5.8. The Taylor website comes up with the video box, but clicking on the play button either in the center of the black video screen or in the lower-left of the player does nothing.

Any ideas?
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by chem geek
    For whatever reason, I can't get the videos to work
    I had that problem at first as well. What you need to do is click on a category on the left (presumably pool/spa) and then click on one of the links that appears below the video box. Once you do that, the video you clicked on can be played by pressing the play button.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

13. Back To Top    #13

This stirrer is a great idea, I'm going to order mine. The CH test is not a lot of fun, especially stirring for 20 sec between drops and by CH is 400.

Found the device for about $26 at http://www.lincolnaquatics.com/shop/cat ... tID=25-002
    17,500 Gallon, SWG 33' x 21' freeform w/ Sunstone Cobalt Plaster. Attached 6 X 6 Spa raised 12" w/ 6 Jets with Moss Rock Spillover. 25' Moss Rock Waterfall. Pentair Intelliflo VS-3050 for Pool, 2 HP Whisperflo for Waterfall, Pentair Clean & Clear Cartridge 320, Pentair 400K BTU Max-E-Therm heater, Pentair Intellichor, Pentair EasyTouch 4P, Pentair Legend Platinum Cleaner w/ 3/4 hp pump, autofill system, nat gas fire pit. BBB convert

http://www.troublefreepool.com/new-tx-pool-t17907.html

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    Quote Originally Posted by chem geek
    For whatever reason, I can't get the videos to work
    I had that problem at first as well. What you need to do is click on a category on the left (presumably pool/spa) and then click on one of the links that appears below the video box. Once you do that, the video you clicked on can be played by pressing the play button.
    Doh! Thanks, that worked. It would have helped if I followed their instructions and clicked on one of the categories on the left.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by falken
    If anyone found the "daylight simulator" as cool as I did, the one they used was:
    GEPE - Pro 4X5 Slim Light Box

It is about $50 and sold at photography supply places online.

I must now have one.

As must I! Is that battery powered or plugged in? I don't have electricity up at the pool lab but gosh, I'd run a line to it if I absolutely have to. What a very cool gadget!
    — AnnaK —

12,000 gal AGP, Hayward sand filter, Pentair 2-speed pump, timer.
    Please visit our Pool Issues pages for information about step weights, managing the solar cover, and PoolSkim.

16. Back To Top    #16

Both battery powered (9v) and wall-wart.

I made myself a bigger, external, battery pack (rechargeable NiMH) for when I'm on the road.

17. Back To Top    #17

Nope...he doesn't sell his own anymore.
    I have a daughter who just turned 2, the stirrers were taking up way too much time away from family. I'm so looking forward to her jumping off from the deck into the pool and in my arms!

Have a great summer everyone! (It'll be 23°C tomorrow! woohoo!)

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by CaOCl2
    Nope...he doesn't sell his own anymore.
    I have a daughter who just turned 2, the stirrers were taking up way too much time away from family. I'm so looking forward to her jumping off from the deck into the pool and in my arms!

Have a great summer everyone! (It'll be 23°C tomorrow! woohoo!)
    FYI I love your magnetic stirrer