Hayward Star Clear II Filter PSI 30+?

Nov 5, 2009
Orlando, FL
So before my pressure on my filter would sit at about 20 psi, now it's pretty much tacking out, as far as it can go. Does this mean i need a new filter? My pool sat through winter and i did not have a cover on it (i live in florida) and i finally got some money to get her up and running (bought bank owned house). The pool was filled with leaves and such that i cleaned out, but there are still small pieces that get through that i notice a lot whenever i clean the filter with a garden hose. Maybe the filter has taken so much abuse i need a new one? Or could it be from my lack of maintenance? What would cause the PSI to go up so high?

First thing you need to tell us what filter you have, how old it is, etc.

I assume from your cleaning desscription that it's a cartridge filter.
Until you get the water cleaned up the pressure is going to rise quickly.
Once you get the water cleared it should settle down and not rise as quickly. If it does then it may be time for a real cleaning or a replacement.

Yes it is a cartridge filter, here's a picture of it:

How old is it...not really sure, it was the only part i was able to salvage whenever i purchased the home. So does a cartridge filter just suck the water through the filter and then any debris, etc dont get pushed back into the pool? and maybe it's clogged because of all the dirt so the pressure raises?

The pump actually pushes the water through the filter cartridge and cleans the debris from it as it passes through. The debris gets left on the filter media and that's what you clean off with the garden hose. They can get so clogged up that the water hose method won't clean them but that's rare. I think you just haven't gotten the pool water clean enough yet.

If you have never taken the cartridge out and cleaned it, you should do that now. Cartridge filters get removed and washed off with a garden hose any time the pressure goes up by about 6 to 10 psi.

If you already cleaned the filter and it is still at 30+psi then you probably need to clean the filter more throughly by soaking it in TSP or automatic dish washer detergent overnight. If that still doesn't work, we can suggest some other things to try.

JasonLion said:
If you have never taken the cartridge out and cleaned it, you should do that now. Cartridge filters get removed and washed off with a garden hose any time the pressure goes up by about 6 to 10 psi.

If you already cleaned the filter and it is still at 30+psi then you probably need to clean the filter more throughly by soaking it in TSP or automatic dish washer detergent overnight. If that still doesn't work, we can suggest some other things to try.

Seems I read somewhere to use the granular dishwasher detergent and not the gel? Is that true?

gg=alice

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.