New pool light. Go with SAm or Intellibrite?

Nov 5, 2009
Orlando, FL
Alright guys, so i purchased a bank owned house back in September '09. Since then ive saved up money and purchased the major parts i needed. (New pool pump, fix some plumbing, filter, etc) Well now that winter is over and it's time for some pool action, it's about time to finish the last part on my pool. Replacing the light.

The one that was originally in there was an American Products Company light, probably in there since it was built in the '80s. I found some lights for like $200 but they are just regular pool lights.

So i decided to look on ebay. Found two different ones i like and are fairly cheap right now. The Pentair SAm and the Pentair IntelliBrite.

Now from all the research ive done, it seems like the intellibrite is definitely the way to go, what do you guys think? Both lights are about the same price on eBay, and i think the LED would make a nice touch.

Here's a couple pictures of the pool:

Intellibrite is the way to go. I upgraded to one which I bought off ebay. The price was just too good to pass up and we love the light show.

Please note that if you have a Hayward niche, a Hayward brand fixture should be used. The same is true for Pentair or any other niche/fixture combination. This affects the UL listing, a liability concern you shouldn't live without. God forbid something happens...

Scott

I am also thinking of changing my pool light (regular light) to Intellibrite. Couple of questions?

1. How do I tell what I have and if will fit?
2. How hard is to replace the actual light?

Thanks.

To tell what it is, post a picture or unscrew the mounting screw (#2 Phillips head usually) on the top of the outer ring, front face. Don't lose the screw. Most have a washer or o-ring securing it but some don't.

Tip the fixture forward and it will rise to the surface usually due to the air inside. The cord should be wrapped around the fixture enough to bring it to the surface.

Not all fixtures float. Water filled units (they failed) and Jazz lights sink.

Most fixtures have a label or embossed part numbers.

Re-insertion of the existing fixture is in the reverse order. We can discuss the "How to swap" after we determine what you have.

Scott

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.