Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New pool light. Go with SAm or Intellibrite?

1. Back To Top    #1

New pool light. Go with SAm or Intellibrite?

Alright guys, so i purchased a bank owned house back in September '09. Since then ive saved up money and purchased the major parts i needed. (New pool pump, fix some plumbing, filter, etc) Well now that winter is over and it's time for some pool action, it's about time to finish the last part on my pool. Replacing the light.

The one that was originally in there was an American Products Company light, probably in there since it was built in the '80s. I found some lights for like $200 but they are just regular pool lights.

So i decided to look on ebay. Found two different ones i like and are fairly cheap right now. The Pentair SAm and the Pentair IntelliBrite.

Now from all the research ive done, it seems like the intellibrite is definitely the way to go, what do you guys think? Both lights are about the same price on eBay, and i think the LED would make a nice touch.

Here's a couple pictures of the pool:

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New pool light. Go with SAm or Intellibrite?

Intellibrite, IMO. Or you could do the Hayward Colorlogic. Both are pretty similar. The Colorlogic is a little cheaper.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

3. Back To Top    #3

Intellibrite is the way to go. I upgraded to one which I bought off ebay. The price was just too good to pass up and we love the light show.
    5,775 gal, IG free form, Beach Series Antigua by Marbletite Pebble finish, 2 swim out benches, Sheer Descent, IG Fountain, Dolphin / Mermaid Statues, StaRite Dura- Glas 1.5hp pump, Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter replaced with Hayward Pro-grid DE4820, Aqua Rite SWG with T-Cell 15, Polaris 360, Pentair 300w Light upgraded to Pentair IntelliBrite (OMG what a huge difference) , Heat Siphon Heat Pump DX 5.0 109,000 btu, Pool Cage, 1800sq ft Tremron Estate Pavers, solar cover, TF-100 test kit, Pentair Deck Jet, Apollo Magnetic Stirrer (Makes testing a breeze), Aquatherm Ecosun Solar Panels 192 sq ft with GL-235 Controller,Margarita Concoction Machine,
    Pics of our Spool ( Social Pool) being built Solar install Outdoor kitchen upgrade

4. Back To Top    #4

Well Intellibrite is how i went, ended up spending $440 on it as someone else clearly wanted it pretty bad. It's new though so i dont have to worry about it not working. Should be here on tuesday, i'm excited

5. Back To Top    #5

Trust me you will enjoy it as we do.
    5,775 gal, IG free form, Beach Series Antigua by Marbletite Pebble finish, 2 swim out benches, Sheer Descent, IG Fountain, Dolphin / Mermaid Statues, StaRite Dura- Glas 1.5hp pump, Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter replaced with Hayward Pro-grid DE4820, Aqua Rite SWG with T-Cell 15, Polaris 360, Pentair 300w Light upgraded to Pentair IntelliBrite (OMG what a huge difference) , Heat Siphon Heat Pump DX 5.0 109,000 btu, Pool Cage, 1800sq ft Tremron Estate Pavers, solar cover, TF-100 test kit, Pentair Deck Jet, Apollo Magnetic Stirrer (Makes testing a breeze), Aquatherm Ecosun Solar Panels 192 sq ft with GL-235 Controller,Margarita Concoction Machine,
    Pics of our Spool ( Social Pool) being built Solar install Outdoor kitchen upgrade

6. Back To Top    #6

Please note that if you have a Hayward niche, a Hayward brand fixture should be used. The same is true for Pentair or any other niche/fixture combination. This affects the UL listing, a liability concern you shouldn't live without. God forbid something happens...

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

7. Back To Top    #7

Well i called Pentair and told them the old light i had in their and they said the intellibrite "should" fit. I don't really know how to tell what type of niche i have...lets hope it's the right one! We will find out tomorrow!

8. Back To Top    #8

I am also thinking of changing my pool light (regular light) to Intellibrite. Couple of questions?

1. How do I tell what I have and if will fit?
    2. How hard is to replace the actual light?

Thanks.
    Richard
    Temecula, CA
    28,000 Gal. In-Ground plaster and tile, Total Control AutoPilot with SC-60 SWG and PH control, Pentair EasyTouch 8, EasyTouch Wireless Remote, Intelliflo VS+SVRS pump, Intellibrite lighting, Pentair Quad 100, Solar heating, Pentair Mastertemp 400 Gas Heater, The Pool Cleaner 4x, Aquabot Turbo T2 Robotic Cleaner, Water feature spillover from SPA.

9. Back To Top    #9

To tell what it is, post a picture or unscrew the mounting screw (#2 Phillips head usually) on the top of the outer ring, front face. Don't lose the screw. Most have a washer or o-ring securing it but some don't.

Tip the fixture forward and it will rise to the surface usually due to the air inside. The cord should be wrapped around the fixture enough to bring it to the surface.

Not all fixtures float. Water filled units (they failed) and Jazz lights sink.

Most fixtures have a label or embossed part numbers.

Re-insertion of the existing fixture is in the reverse order. We can discuss the "How to swap" after we determine what you have.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

10. Back To Top    #10

Thank you Scott. I am traveling so it will take me a few days to get to the light. I will check.
    Richard
    Temecula, CA
    28,000 Gal. In-Ground plaster and tile, Total Control AutoPilot with SC-60 SWG and PH control, Pentair EasyTouch 8, EasyTouch Wireless Remote, Intelliflo VS+SVRS pump, Intellibrite lighting, Pentair Quad 100, Solar heating, Pentair Mastertemp 400 Gas Heater, The Pool Cleaner 4x, Aquabot Turbo T2 Robotic Cleaner, Water feature spillover from SPA.