New pump in, and my test results

denisbaldwin

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 23, 2010
The new pump went in yesterday afternoon and it's been pumping all night. It's so quiet! Also, the bubbles that used to fill the old pump's window are now gone. I think it was just sucking air from pulling too hard!

That said, had my water tested last night after letting it run for a couple of hours. Here's the results:

Total Chlorine - 5PPM
Free Chlorine - 5PPM
Combined Chlorine - 0.0PPM
pH - 7.2
Acid Demand - 0
Base Demand - 0
Total Alkalinity - 110PPM
Calcium Hardness - 170PPM
Stabilizer - 50PPM
Total Dissolved Solids - 1300PPM

Given these numbers, what does the pool need to go from the milky green it is now to crystal clear and trouble free? Just more pump time?

Shock your pool.

Raise your FC up to around 15-18ppm and hold it there until your pool clears.

Based on your description, you should see improvement overnight and possibly crystal clear in a day or so. The important thing to remember is, regardless how long it takes, keep your FC at that level until the pool is clear.

There is an article on "how to shock your pool" in Pool School that goes into more detail.

Is this a plaster/gunite/pebble/etc pool? IF so, _after_ you're done shocking and clearing up the green, you might want to raise your CH a bit, to help protect the plaster from CH leaching.
If you have a vinyl liner, you're fine.
--paulr

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.