Jacks Purple Stuff and Metal Free and my filter

mnb

Feb 18, 2009
NW Chicago Suburb, IL
I have had an issue with some copper in my pool. My source water is clean but pool was showing .2 for copper. I don't know if my heater is/was putting it in due to unbalanced water or what, but I'm hoping that if it was, that it is not anymore.

My question is this. If I use Jacks or Metal Free and it 'sequesters' the copper, will my cartridge filter actually grab it and remove it? I don't want to have to be adding maintenance doses of this stuff all year.

Thanks.

Back to your question, a sequestrant only keeps the metal in suspension. It does not remove it from your pool not does it make it removable via your filter.

Either replacing some of the water or running your pool through a water softener (household softeners do not have the capacity required) is the only practical way to remove the metals.

I hear you about the constant addition of sequestrant but you have no choice unless you replace the water. I am always surprised by how many people will knowingly fill their pool with iron-rich water to save a couple of hundred bucks and then fight the staining and associated issues with iron for the forseeable future.

as far as the source of your copper, were you or are you using a copper-based algaecide?

No, I'm sure the algecide I used when I closed did not have copper. My pb may have used a different kind when he closed the year before.

I'm really thinking that is has to be my heater. I don't remember a time where by ph was really low, but it must have at one point. Let's say that it was my heater, due to a time of bad water balance. If my water is good now, will the heater continue to contribute copper to my pool? So what I'm asking is, once it is pitted, will it continue to Pitt more even if the water is good?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.