Pool Refillilng

Mar 17, 2010
Spring, TX
In my pool I have a very small opening which is used if the pool needs to be filled. The whole is about 1/4 inches wide or so. There is always a steady stream of water that is flowing from that part of my pool. It does not seem like a lot of flow. Is this something normal or could I have an issue. I did a backwash recently with the full clean about a week ago and the pool water level has seem to have risen after I had it close to the correct water level. Not sure if the flow from the fill up part is the culprit or something else may be. We have not had any rain since then either, so that eliminiates that as a culprit.

Hopefully all this made sense.

Thanks.

Bama Rambler said:
Can you take a picture of what you're talking about and post it?

Is this an automatic fill?

I will take a picture of it. It is not an auto fill I do not think. The is a place to where I have to turn it on like a pool nozzle and then the water comes out. Then I turn it off and the water has the small flow. I put my finger on it for about 10 seconds and it builds up some pressure and then when I take my finger off of it a lot of water comes out.

Its a fill line and the gate valve needs to be repaired or replaced. It looks like it has been repaired from freeze damage a couple of times. You should make sure there is proper backflow protection to protect your neighbors from potentially contaminated potable water and if not disconnect it and use your hose to fill the pool.

renovxpt said:
Its a fill line and the gate valve needs to be repaired or replaced. It looks like it has been repaired from freeze damage a couple of times. You should make sure there is proper backflow protection to protect your neighbors from potentially contaminated potable water and if not disconnect it and use your hose to fill the pool.

Where is the gate valve? How can you tell it has been replaced a few times. Can you break it down a little more for me if you would?

Thanks.

mynewpool said:
renovxpt said:

Where is the gate valve? How can you tell it has been replaced a few times. Can you break it down a little more for me if you would?

Thanks.

Is the gate valve the nozzle used to turn on and off and something inside of that is broken?

mynewpool said:
mynewpool said:
renovxpt said:

Thanks.

Is the gate valve the nozzle used to turn on and off and something inside of that is broken?
Yes.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
mynewpool said:
What would be the easiest way to do that to replace or disconnect it?

Thanks.
You replace it.

I don't see a union anywhere, so the pipes will have to be cut. As long as you're in there, install a check valve. Or just cap the thing and use the garden hose for filling the pool. If the hose is too far away, put a hose bib on the supply line then put a hose on it and fill it that way.

There's no polite way to say it, but if terms like "union," "gate valve," and "hose bib" are foreign to you, you'd be better off calling a plumber. It's pretty straight forward, so it shouldn't cost a fortune. And bear in mind, if you try it yourself and make a boo-boo, it will be with the water shut off. That means no water to drink, shower, or flush toilets with until it's fixed! And emergency call-outs for a plumber are very expensive. Even some "handyman service" should be able to handle the job.

Brass gate valves (which is what you have) are notorious for leaking through. There's nothing really broken in it, it's just worn inside. Replacement is the best option. You've gotten good advice above about that.

Before spending any $$ on this, check for another valve in the basement to close off this line. If it has a dedicated valve inside, simply close that one. Sure you'd have to play with 2 valves to top off the pool, when needed, but it costs nothing. :idea: :)

Do you use this valve often? Some crud may be preventing it from closing all the way. Sometimes massaging the valve, or opening and closing it fully a few times will clean the crud out and enable you to close it all the way. Good luck!

It looks to me like the valve can be dis-assembled. The valve may be able to be repaired. Some hardware stores carry the seals/washers for valves. May be worth looking into. Then again, that paticular valve may look like it comes apart, but actually does not.

tsunami said:
Do you use this valve often? Some crud may be preventing it from closing all the way. Sometimes massaging the valve, or opening and closing it fully a few times will clean the crud out and enable you to close it all the way. Good luck!

I have never had to fill the pool except once and when I use it, the wate comes out without any issues.

waste said:
Before spending any $$ on this, check for another valve in the basement to close off this line. If it has a dedicated valve inside, simply close that one. Sure you'd have to play with 2 valves to top off the pool, when needed, but it costs nothing. :idea: :)

I tried to takes out some wood boards to where I think the pipes are. I am going to try again another day and see if I can get it fixed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.