Filter System for 27' above ground pool

Mar 30, 2010
I am going to be installing a 27' (~17k gallons) steel above ground pool this spring. I have narrowed down my filtering selection to the following:

Hayward 21" sand filter with 1.5hp pump running zeolite instead of sand
Hayward Aqua Trol chlorine generator

I have no prior experience with pool care, does this seem to be a good setup for a beginner? I am in Massachusetts so our pool season is pretty short.

Does this seem to be an optimal setup? What is the opinion of 2 speed pumps?

Chris

Welcome To TFP. :wave:

Since you're soon installing a pool you really need to read Pool School. Especially the construction and pool equipment sections.

With a 27' pool I'd recommend a larger filter and unless you have a really good reason to use the zeobrite, regular filter sand is the way to go. remember you can never have too much filter.

The 1.5 hp pump is a little big but if you go with a 2 speed it'll work just fine. A 2-speed pump on low speed 24 hours a day uses less electricity than running it on high speed for 8 hours a day. There are a lot of things that go into the calculation of pump size and if you can give us as much as you know at this point (i.e. distance to pool, pipe sizes, number of skimmers/drains, number of returns, etc) we can help more.

Thanks I have been reading the pool school. Are you suggesting that I should increase the filter size and decreasing the power of the pump? I am going to use 1.5" drain and supply lines and plan on installing the filter as close as possible to the pool. I am going to guess that I will only have one skimmer and one return, is it usual to have more for a 27' pool?

Chris

24" 300+lb sand filter should be plenty...general rule = the bigger the filter the better (hayward 240 (24") would be a good choice)

Zeolite has gotten mixed results...sand performs just fine...just mho :goodjob:

pump size depends on the run, but if it is a typical abg pool set-up a full rated 3/4hp (Hayward Superpump or Pentair Superflo) would be plenty...any more hp is just a waste of electricity...again just mho, but other will quickly confirm. If you go 1.5hp, make sure it is a 2 speed model.

Welcome to TFP and good luck with the new pool :wave:

What is the difference between a Hayward Super Flow and a Powerflow Matrix pump? for the same HP, does the super flow move more water? It seems like the superflow is suction rated for inground pools, how will it react being gravity fed from an aboveground skimmer?

Why does Hayward pair the 1.5hp motor with the 21" sand filter when you guys are suggesting a much larger filter and much smaller motor?

Got the permit today, so I need to buy some equipment!

Chris

The inground pump will work just fine on an above ground pool but isn't needed due to having a flooded suction. Maybe Mark will be along soon and can give you the finer points about the differences between the two.

The biggest difference is that we're not trying to sell you the equipment. While the 1.5hp pump/21" filter combo will work it may not be the best design for your setup. We recommend a larger filter because it usually means lower delta pressure and longer intervals between cleaning which is good for you. We recommend a smaller pump because it means you can run it in longer intervals for less electricity. The longer run time is good for the pool as it keeps it cleaner and the lower electrical usage is good for your wallet.

Bama Rambler said:
The inground pump will work just fine on an above ground pool but isn't needed due to having a flooded suction. Maybe Mark will be along soon and can give you the finer points about the differences between the two.

The biggest difference is that we're not trying to sell you the equipment. While the 1.5hp pump/21" filter combo will work it may not be the best design for your setup. We recommend a larger filter because it usually means lower delta pressure and longer intervals between cleaning which is good for you. We recommend a smaller pump because it means you can run it in longer intervals for less electricity. The longer run time is good for the pool as it keeps it cleaner and the lower electrical usage is good for your wallet.

Ok, sounds good. As far as selecting a pump, would I be better off with a 1.5hp 2 speed pump and let it run all the time or go for a 1hp single speed pump? I _think_ this maybe a hot topic? I can see the advantage of constant circulation. Will the SWG work with a pump running on low speed?

Chris

I'd go with a 2-speed whichever horsepower I decided to choose. I have a 1.5 hp single speed and whenever something happens to it I'll either replace the motor with a 2-speed or the entire pump with a smaller sized 2-speed.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
frustratedpoolmom said:
Get the 2 speed and the larger filter.
One return/skimmer is normal for an AG pool. You don't say where you are located, but perhaps consider a bottom drain.

I am in Massachusetts.

Right now I am thinking about getting the Hayward S244t 24" sand filter and the Hayward SP15932S Powerflo matrix 1.5hp 2 speed pump. The idea is to leave it running 24 hours a day in the low speed mode. The equivalent Hayward Super Pump is over twice the cost. Does this sound like a reasonable plan? Will this work with the Hayward Aqua Trol chlorine generator?

Chris

I run my filter on low 24/7 :wink:

If you get deep freezes a bottom drain may not be the right choice (some folk are leery of them where the ground freezes) but if that's not an issue in your area.... they are great for helping circulation and it drastically reduces the amount of vacuming needed. I love mine. :goodjob:

As for whether that's enough pressure for the chlorinator, I would think so but I'm not 100% so I'll leave that for the real experts. :mrgreen:

In-ground pool pumps are not appropriate for above ground pools where the pump is right next to the pool and the pipe/hose lengths are short. In-ground pumps need a minimum amount of flow resistance/pipe length to work correctly. Some large above ground pools have long plumbing runs and an in-ground pump is fine in those situations.

JasonLion said:
In-ground pool pumps are not appropriate for above ground pools where the pump is right next to the pool and the pipe/hose lengths are short. In-ground pumps need a minimum amount of flow resistance/pipe length to work correctly. Some large above ground pools have long plumbing runs and an in-ground pump is fine in those situations.

Ok, final question regarding placement, should I place the pump/filter system under the deck I am going to build around the pool or should I place it on the far side of the pool away from the deck? How important is vertical access to the sand filter?

Chris

It doesn't really mater where you put the filter, as long as you can get to it to backwash and are able to open the filter up when you have to. Most sand filters require at least 14" of vertical clearance when removing the top, thought it varies a fair bit. Shorter plumbing runs will be a bit more efficient, but the difference isn't anything to worry about.

I wouldn't put it under the deck. I'd put it just on the outside of the deck area, perhaps on the far side where you won't have to look at it. But you'll want better access than under a deck....that would get real old, real quick. :)

So I ordered the S244t sand filter and a Powerflo matrix 1.5hp 2 speed pump. I was planning on buying a piece of slate to bolt the pump to and I figure the weight of the sand filter will keep it in place. Is this a good assumption? What else do I need to buy for my pool for plumbing purposes? I do not have a skimmer or return yet, are there ones that are more desirable than others? I assume I should place a ball valve and union on the skimmer and the return? Any other special fittings that I need? I think for now I will go with 1.5" flex PVC and hard plumb it once the deck is built.

Chris

hey chris...here is a link to some of my install pics from last year and may give you a better idea....1.5" should be fine and you can use flex PVC or rigid Schedule 40 PVC, just make sure you use sch 40 fittings and use some unions as well. (the unions will be helpful for winterizing and servicing..feel free to PM me with any specific questions.

http://s702.photobucket.com/albums/ww30/dmanb2b/?action=view&current=IMG_1072.jpg

As you'll see in the pic, I just used a $35 PVC A/C Condenser pad...much easier to handle than concrete or a single piece of slate.

Hope this helps

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.