Air in pump basket

Mar 13, 2010
I have a Pentair WhisperFlo, 2.0Hp. There is constantly air in the pump basket, lots of little bubbles. I believe that this air is coming from the suction side. I see no leaks in the plumbing or the pump. The O-ring is lubbed & there are no visible cracks in the tip.
Any ideas as to what can be causing this?

Welcome to TFP!

If the water level is just slightly too low the skimmers can draw some air in down the middle of the vortex. It is also possible to have leaks in the plumbing that are very difficult to detect.

Depending on the age of your equipment, you might have a valve gasket that may need replacing.

This type of leak is tough to find. You can try to see if it is a valve gasket by isolating various valves in open and closed positions, but this may not give you the answer. It's not like a water leak where the evidence presents itself inconclusively. When the system is pulling air into itself in the manner that you describe, you can't see the source with your eyes.

I have a very small leak just like you have. Had it for as long as I can remember. I've tried to find it to no avail. I can adjust my skimmers and cleaner valves to a point where it stops pulling air into the system though and so I just live with it.

If you think the air leak is above ground, you could try placing a soaking wet towel on any location that you think could be leaking air (pipe joints, pump basket lid, etc). If you get the wet towel on the leak, it will suck water from the towel and the bubbles should stop.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.