Fiber Optic Lit Concrete Accents

themilkman

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 22, 2010
We are getting a pretty basic pool package due to our budget but looking at interesting ways of adding some character to our pool deck. We would have loved to do some special deck but money is tight these days.

I found this on instructables and thought it would be really interesting and something I could easily do during the pool install. Wanted to get some opinions from concrete guys on how this would work when installing and if I would have to worry about cracks later.

FA88W2CG7844HU9.MEDIUM.jpg

Basically I would pull wire under the concrete (dug in dirt) to several locations around the pool. I would have the wire come up through a 6"-8" piece of pvc that would extend up higher than the concrete creating a hole when the concrete is poured. Then simply wire a white or colored LED light into each hole, cut PVC to height where concrete round sets flush to deck level or slightly below and then clear silicone the discs in to keep water tight. If something happened to the LED you could simply cut out the disc and replace.

What do you think? I would color the concrete discs to look like accents, during the day they look like solid concrete accents but at night they glow. If you wanted to get fancy you could even buy the little LED control units so they would sparkle like stars or change colors like the intellibrite pool lite.

Here's how to make them.....
http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-Light-Transmitting-Concrete-Video/

Almost everywhere there are severe code restrictions about putting anything electrical within 10 feet of the water. It can be done, but requires special fixtures and wiring procedures (think expensive).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.