Question on pool location

linda1

Mar 26, 2010
Western Pa.
We have been talking with a dealer on having an ag 30 ft. pool installed. My husband has picked an area off our existing deck and small pavilion. We would remove the back rails of the pavilion and add more deck to step up to a deck area to the pool. It would involve removing a few hemlocks. Would the ground be stable enough after removing these trees? We would remove the trees ourselves, dealer would install pool. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
From the back door.
medium.jpg

Back and side of pavilion
medium.jpg

Trees in question, small ones behind play set which would be removed
medium.jpg

I like the idea of having the pool on the other side of the pavilion. You could easily then build a deck by the pool and a gate to the pavilion, or from the pavilion to the pool.

On the other hand, I don't know how old the children are that might be playing in your yard, but you might consider whether or not they could still be seen from your existing deck or pavilion if the pool is straight out from it. As a mother of a 4 year old, I like to be able to see the playset from all areas of the deck, and I'm afraid with a pool between you might lose that.

If it was my yard, I might consider off setting the pool to the left of the pavilion, but you could still make the entrance to the pool in the pavilion if you wanted, or from the existing deck. That way you could get a better view of both the pool and the playground set from the deck and pavilion alike... Just my 2 cents.

Have fun! Hope you post pictures when you get it all done :)

Thanks for the suggestions. The playset will be removed. We put it up years ago for the grandchildren. They are now older and don't use it except for the 2 year old and it will go to her house. We asked the pool dealer to come out and look at the area and hopefully he will be able to let us know what steps need to be taken to have the pool put over the area we plan to remove trees from.

Hi, Linda,

Welcome to the forum. If you remove the trees, I would suggest filling the resultant hole with rock instead of putting the dirt back in. That will prevent settling.

I think you posted about heaters also and having a gas well on your property. You made hundreds of us instantly jealous to know you could heat your pool for free! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Never thought about putting rock in the holes from the trees. Thanks!
Yes, we are very lucky to have the free gas. I really felt sorry for people around here this past winter with the extremely cold temperatures. Their gas bills were like a second mortgage.

linda1 said:
Yes, we are very lucky to have the free gas. I really felt sorry for people around here this past winter with the extremely cold temperatures. Their gas bills were like a second mortgage.

I would agree with Duraleigh...the ground around a removed tree will get really spongy especially if it is a big tree or an old tree. My parents removed an old Willow tree from our back yard when I was in elementary school...they now have a spot in the yard that is about a foot and a half deep by about 12 feet wide...You don't want something like that under your pool!

cubbybeave08 said:
linda1 said:

I would agree with Duraleigh...the ground around a removed tree will get really spongy especially if it is a big tree or an old tree. My parents removed an old Willow tree from our back yard when I was in elementary school...they now have a spot in the yard that is about a foot and a half deep by about 12 feet wide...You don't want something like that under your pool!

I agree as well. There will be some settling when the root system dies off.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.