Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Question on pool location

1. Back To Top    #1

Question on pool location

We have been talking with a dealer on having an ag 30 ft. pool installed. My husband has picked an area off our existing deck and small pavilion. We would remove the back rails of the pavilion and add more deck to step up to a deck area to the pool. It would involve removing a few hemlocks. Would the ground be stable enough after removing these trees? We would remove the trees ourselves, dealer would install pool. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
    From the back door.

Back and side of pavilion

Trees in question, small ones behind play set which would be removed
    30 ft. round Conquest agp, 19,800 gal; Pentair Easy Clean 1 hp DE EC60 filter system
    Hayward H250N gas heater; TF100 Test Kit
    2 Fafco 4x20 sunsaver solar bear solar panels
    Pool Rover Jr. ~ Zoomerang slide
    Majestic 8000 Above-Ground Pool Step

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Question on pool location

I have no idea on the answer to your question, but you already have a lovely yard, and welcome to TFP!!

8000 gallon 20' x 48" round vinyl frame pool, 12" sand filter (don't have the specs on the pump), TF100 test kit
    Handy Links: PoolMath, TF-100 Test Kit, Pool School, CYA-Chlorine Chart
    "Shock" is a process, not a product!

3. Back To Top    #3

Just a suggestion. Why dont you call a landscape architect and have him/her look at it. For not a lot of money, a pro could look at your yard and give you some good ideas. It wouldnt cost a whole lot and an architect's eye would be very helpful.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

4. Back To Top    #4

I like the idea of having the pool on the other side of the pavilion. You could easily then build a deck by the pool and a gate to the pavilion, or from the pavilion to the pool.

On the other hand, I don't know how old the children are that might be playing in your yard, but you might consider whether or not they could still be seen from your existing deck or pavilion if the pool is straight out from it. As a mother of a 4 year old, I like to be able to see the playset from all areas of the deck, and I'm afraid with a pool between you might lose that.

If it was my yard, I might consider off setting the pool to the left of the pavilion, but you could still make the entrance to the pool in the pavilion if you wanted, or from the existing deck. That way you could get a better view of both the pool and the playground set from the deck and pavilion alike... Just my 2 cents.

Have fun! Hope you post pictures when you get it all done
    Indiana, ABG 24'x52" Galveston by Blue Cascade (Craigslist $600 w/part of deck included), 13,500 gallons, Intex SWG, solar panel

My backyard is like a park... Why then does DH always want to go camping??? I just don't understand.

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the suggestions. The playset will be removed. We put it up years ago for the grandchildren. They are now older and don't use it except for the 2 year old and it will go to her house. We asked the pool dealer to come out and look at the area and hopefully he will be able to let us know what steps need to be taken to have the pool put over the area we plan to remove trees from.
    30 ft. round Conquest agp, 19,800 gal; Pentair Easy Clean 1 hp DE EC60 filter system

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Hi, Linda,

Welcome to the forum. If you remove the trees, I would suggest filling the resultant hole with rock instead of putting the dirt back in. That will prevent settling.

I think you posted about heaters also and having a gas well on your property. You made hundreds of us instantly jealous to know you could heat your pool for free!
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Never thought about putting rock in the holes from the trees. Thanks!
    Yes, we are very lucky to have the free gas. I really felt sorry for people around here this past winter with the extremely cold temperatures. Their gas bills were like a second mortgage.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by linda1
    Yes, we are very lucky to have the free gas. I really felt sorry for people around here this past winter with the extremely cold temperatures. Their gas bills were like a second mortgage.

I would agree with Duraleigh...the ground around a removed tree will get really spongy especially if it is a big tree or an old tree. My parents removed an old Willow tree from our back yard when I was in elementary school...they now have a spot in the yard that is about a foot and a half deep by about 12 feet wide...You don't want something like that under your pool!
    Beave
    Aqua Leader 24ft Round AG Wil-Bar Influence w/54 inch walls 13,500 gallons
    Swimline J-Blue Opal Liner, 1 4X20 Fafco Solar Bear Solar Heater
    Hayward 2 HP Swim Pro Voyager Pump Micro 150 with 4 way timer
    Swim Pro Voyager Filtration System with Hayward ABS Pearl wide mouth skimmer

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by cubbybeave08
    Quote Originally Posted by linda1

I would agree with Duraleigh...the ground around a removed tree will get really spongy especially if it is a big tree or an old tree. My parents removed an old Willow tree from our back yard when I was in elementary school...they now have a spot in the yard that is about a foot and a half deep by about 12 feet wide...You don't want something like that under your pool!
    I agree as well. There will be some settling when the root system dies off.
    26x16 rockwood keyhole vynil inground, waterway cartridge filter and swg, variable speed pentair pump, extra large skimmer with 2 main drains in deep end and 2 returns,Rheem raypack 206 natural gas heater, hayward tigershark qc robot. Being installed in late may early june. Woot!