Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Adding chemicals

1. Back To Top    #1

Adding chemicals

What chemicals can be added through the skimmer and what ones need to be added to the deep end of the pool. My pool store says all chemicals should be added to the deep end of the pool (walking around) and then sweep the bottom to ensure none of it has settled. If it is OK to add the chemicals through the skimmer, it would be much simpler. I just don't want to harm the piping, equipment, or the pool.

Thanks,
    Stacy
    25,000 gal. I/G Vinyl Liner Pool; Pentair IC40 SWCG; 3/4 hp Hayward Pump with 244t Hayward Sand Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Adding chemicals

This article at Pool School goes through all of the common chemicals and the best to add them to the pool. With many chemicals there are several ways to add them. Adding through the skimmer is one of the more popular alternative approaches. The one chemical to absolutely never add through the skimmer is muriatic acid.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School