solar panel quote

Jul 2, 2009
Elk Grove, CA
I received a quote today for a solar pool heating system. The system includes 6x12' Fafco Sunsaver ST panels, materials, and installation. I am using my Current control system, so no need to buy that. Total price is $4865. Is this an average/reasonable price for installing of this type of system? These panels come with a parts and labor warranty for 12 yrs.

You didn't say how many panels?

I just had a solar system installed. It was 10 10x4 eagle sun panels and 2 12x4 panels (496 sq ft. total), fully installed with automatic controller for $5995. 10 years parts and labor, parts warranty is from the manufacture and labor warranty is from the installation company.

tedinelkgrove said:
falken said:
You didn't say how many panels?

6 panels, 12'x4' each.

Ah.. I read your post as 6'x12' panels, I didn't think anyone made panels that size! :)

I estimate total part cost to be around $2000. Labor time would be about 2 people 2 days or 4 people 1 day....
In this area I would say it should be under $4000, assuming you aren't doing any underground pipe runs, no new electrical runs to the breaker, etc.

I tried talking the guy down, but $4865 was the lowest. I told him we would think about it. I can't do it myself: tile roof, I am too big and clumsy, etc.. Hopefully someone else from the area will reply. Thanks for posting your info.

Name of company is Sierra Pacific, the only FAFCO dealer here.

tedinelkgrove said:
Heliocol system was quoted at $4685. It appears professional equipment/install ain't cheap.
We just had Ecosun put in and all I can say is that it works for me. The pool temp went from 61 to 85 in 3 days. I am hoping it will be close to 90 by this evening. Look at the install in the sig bar :goodjob: :cheers:

Here's a post I started last Oct. on solar. I ended up going with Fafco Sunsetters and currently very please with the outcome. Now I got a fantastic price probably because of the economy and the dealer had excessive inventory on the panels ($3,960 complete with Jandy auto valve).
Check out the link mas985 gave, this website helped me decide on Fafco over Helicoil. HTH

Thread Link

It looks like we are going to purchase the Heliocol HC-40 panel system from Solaron. Came in at the lowest price with a reputable installer. Total for the system is $4175, a substantial savings over the Fafco and other Heliocol dealer. I liked Heliocol's seamless construction eliminating potential leak points, and the warranty. From a BTU perspective, I doubt we could tell the difference between a 956 (heliocol) and 1016 (fafco) rating.

Here is the link to Solaron's website for our fellow valley pool owners interested in quotes. The other quotes we got were from Sierra Pacific (fafco) and Aztec Solar (heliocol).
http://www.solaron.net/index.html

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Before you sign up, the HC-40 is the 10.5 ft panel, the HC-50 is the 12.5 foot panel. You might not be making an apples to apples comparison for pricing.

I too plan on using the Helicol, but in my case it's for superior wind resistance without all the additional roof penetrations for the straps that FAFCO requires (to meet wind codes).

I still feel the 10.5' Heliocol panel is a better deal. My pool is ~400 sqft. So the 6-4x10.5 heliocol panels will be sufficient and follow the manufacturers guidelines of 60-65% of the pool surface. Each HC-40 panel has a functional sqft of 40.68. 40.68 x 6 = 244. 244/400 = 61%. I have a w-sw facing roof with direct sun and no obstructions.

I measured the pool surface to be 415 ft2, so really 58.8% panel coverage relative to pool surface area. Still ~60%, rounding up;) Our swim season here is 6-8 months. Without panels, swim season is only June - Sept. A lot of 100+ days, but those cold clear valley nights, and the delta breeze, really keep the pool temp down. I only broke 80 a few times. My pool gets full sun 6-8 hrs/day. I think the 60% coverage should get daytime temps to average 80F April to Oct, depending on when the rainy season ends. April to Oct is usually sun with no rain and hardly any clouds.

tedinelkgrov - 7 years later, how are the panels working? I am currently getting a quote from Soleron using Heliocol. I had a quote from a Fafco dealer and it was almost $7000 for a pool that is only 13,000 gallons and 5ft deep. The fafco dealer said I needed 8 panels 2 4x12 / 3 4x6 / 3 4x8. I felt that was overkill for my pool.

tedinelkgrov - 7 years later, how are the panels working? I am currently getting a quote from Soleron using Heliocol. I had a quote from a Fafco dealer and it was almost $7000 for a pool that is only 13,000 gallons and 5ft deep. The fafco dealer said I needed 8 panels 2 4x12 / 3 4x6 / 3 4x8. I felt that was overkill for my pool.

They have not logged in for 5 years. If you have questions, please ask in your own thread. Thanks.

Also please include your state in your location so we don't have to guess where Marin County is, and which one if there are more than one. Location makes a difference in advice we give on things like well solar heating

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.