Most efficient 3/4hp low cost pump?

denisbaldwin

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 23, 2010
The 1HP pump I thought I was getting ended up being a 1.5HP, so I'm gonna pass on the trade and try to sell my 2hp pump on craigslist.

I went to the pool store and they have dozens of pumps to choose from. They stock 5 models of 3/4 horse pumps and have many more they can order. Which 3/4 horse model do you all recommend for a 12,000 gallon pool? I'm looking for the most bang for the buck, both in initial cost and long term electric costs.

I'd love an Intelliflo, but that's a bit out of my budget. Which would you recommend and why? Any I should definitely avoid?

Denis

P.S. - You guys are so helpful, I just became a Lifetime Member!

It seems that a lot of the ITI (in-the-industry) guys like the Pentair pumps. They pretty much all use the same motor so it comes down to the wet end. I don't have enough experience with these tiny pumps to have an opinion but I'd stay with a major mfg that's readily available in my area and then go with whoever (or is that whomever) had the best warranty.

I like the Pentair WhisperFlo high efficiency pumps. (Not all of the WhisperFlo models are high efficiency.) They do really well compared to other single speed pumps in amount of water moved per watt and are reliable and easy to deal with.

There is a very through comparison of pump efficiency in Pool Pump Energy Cost Comparison, though it may be a little technical for some.

The WF-23 is an uprated 3/4 HP pump and is similar to the full rated WF-2 1/2 HP pump. These are the standard efficiency series pumps.

If you want a bit more efficiency (~12% more), then you want the WFE series of pumps. The WFE-2/WFE-23 has similar head curve as the WF-23 but the efficiency is about 12% better. Of course you will pay more for the pump as well.

But with the WF-2/WF-23 or the WFE-2/WFE-23, your flow rate will decrease by about 25% from your current pump but still more than enough for a 4 hour turnover.

Sorry, nix the WFE-23, it doesn't exist. The equivalent pump to the WF-2/WF-23 but in higher efficiency is the WFE-2. The WFE-3 is a full rated 3/4 HP pump and is bigger than the WFE-2 which is a full rated 1/2 HP pump. The WFE-2 is harder to find but will be slightly more efficient than the WFE-3 since it is a smaller pump but the WFE-3 is good too.

Is there a comparable Hayward to the WFE-2 or WFE-3?

Seems most places that have either of the Pentair pumps in stock are in California, so it'd be at least a week before I got my pump. I was looking to purchase something and have it in the next 2 days, if possible.

WFE-2 Equivalent
Northstar SP4005NS
TriStar SP3205EE

WFE-3 Equivalent
Northstar SP4007NS
SuperII SP3007EEAZ
TriStar SP3207EE

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.