Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Intentionally running at higher filter pressure

1. Back To Top    #1

Intentionally running at higher filter pressure

When I clean my filter, it generally will drop to a pressure of about 10PSI with all of the valves wide open.

On the output side, I have a valve for the wall returns, a valve for the in-floor jets (that point toward my main drain) and a pipe with no valve for the in-floor cleaning system pop ups.

It seems like I'm always short of pressure for all of the pop-ups to work well (if they don't come all the way up, then they won't ratchet to a new position).

What I generally do is close the two valves down a bit to direct more pressure to the pop ups. If I close the wall returns in particular down to the point that the pressure on the filter goes from 10 to 15 PSI, am I asking for trouble? What are the likely side effects? I can think of:

1) Less water flow (meaning longer pump run times are needed?)
    2) More stress on the pump? (not sure)
    3) More stress on the filter cartidges? (not sure)
    ----------------------
    20,500 gal gunite pool w/ PebbleTec and infloor cleaning system.
    Sta-Rite System 3 cartridge filter.
    Houston, TX

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Intentionally running at higher filter pressure

What you are doing sounds very reasonable. Yes, it is more stress on the pump and filter, but not really very much more. 15 psi is no big deal. Now if it was 40 psi, that could be a problem.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School