Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Backwashing

1. Back To Top    #1

Backwashing

When you do a backwash where do you drain your water to?
    16,000 gal IG Double Roman Plaster Pool (16yrs - plaster redone 2014)
    Pentair FNS-48 DE filter with WhisperFlo 2HP single speed pump
    Polaris 280 robot
    BBB all the way and tested with a TF100 kit
    Pool Calc user

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Backwashing

Away from the pool.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

3. Back To Top    #3

Storm drain.
    20,000 Gallon kidney sort of a sand filtered gunite in ground pool w/ hot tub.

4. Back To Top    #4

dry area in full sun
    Grant and Jerri
    Liberty, NC
    New 18x36 vinyl liner pool with lighting and fountain

5. Back To Top    #5

I unroll one of those blue hoses to the middle of the side yard and let the backwash go in to the grass. It's a little sloped, so a lot of the water ends up on the street and heading for the stormdrain, but some will soak in and it shouldn't hurt the grass.

I also use Fiberclear as it's supposed to be a little more environmentally friendly and it requires less in the filter.
    28K IG Vinyl lined pool - 1 skimmer, 2 returns
    Hayward DE 60sqft filter; Polaris 280 vacuum with booster pump

6. Back To Top    #6

In some jurisdictions, a DE filter has to be backwashed into a "settling tank" to keep the apparently terribly dangerous DE from getting out into the world at large. Your local water authority probably has regs/guidelines that you can look up. Obviously most of us don't think that DE in the environment is a particular problem.
    --paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page

7. Back To Top    #7

Great way to water the grass especially in the summertime when we have cut back on watering lawns and we have afternoon showers.
    5,775 gal, IG free form, Beach Series Antigua by Marbletite Pebble finish, 2 swim out benches, Sheer Descent, IG Fountain, Dolphin / Mermaid Statues, StaRite Dura- Glas 1.5hp pump, Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter replaced with Hayward Pro-grid DE4820, Aqua Rite SWG with T-Cell 15, Polaris 360, Pentair 300w Light upgraded to Pentair IntelliBrite (OMG what a huge difference) , Heat Siphon Heat Pump DX 5.0 109,000 btu, Pool Cage, 1800sq ft Tremron Estate Pavers, solar cover, TF-100 test kit, Pentair Deck Jet, Apollo Magnetic Stirrer (Makes testing a breeze), Aquatherm Ecosun Solar Panels 192 sq ft with GL-235 Controller,Margarita Concoction Machine,
    Pics of our Spool ( Social Pool) being built Solar install Outdoor kitchen upgrade

8. Back To Top    #8

I piped mine about 40', silghtly up hill and away from my equipment since it would run down hill andagainst my neighbors home :-0 I now let it go into the woods that are behind their house. If they ever clear their back yard I suppose I will have to go another 80' to let it reach the street behind our home.
    24,500 vinyl pool, Intellichlor SWG,
    1-IntelliFlo 4x160 for pool & spa,
    1-4x160 for waterfall and Sheer decents,
    Triton II Sand filter, Easytouch control

9. Back To Top    #9

I backwash mine into the street. It goes about 10 feet to a storm drain
    12,800 gallon IG plaster kidney-shaped pool, waterslide, 800 gallon spa.
    1HP 2 speed Sta-Rite pool pump, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite spa jet pump. 2 skimmers, 1 main drain
    Purex-Triton TR-60 325 lb.sand filter. 2" Plumbing, Intex SWCG, TF-100 test kit.
    Link to pics of my pool! http://www.troublefreepool.com/my-oasis-t26558.html