Salt Cell Size for Fiberglass Pool

Mar 29, 2010
I have a small 9000 gallon in ground fiberglass pool. It is currently set up with a hayward sand filter, a 2-speed pump, and a chlorine tablet feeder. I have many friends with saltwater pools and love the feel of the water and ease of maintenace. I don't want to get in a debate over SWG vs chlorine.

I run the pump on low speed for long runs of at least 12-14 hours a day in the summer.

I want to use the hayward Aquarite system, but am unsure of what size cell to get. They come in 15k, 25k, and 40k sizes. I am located in south texas where summer temps average in the low 90s. The pool is in full sun and will be open year round. Any thoughts on sizing? The pricing I am looking at is as follows:

Complete systems:

15k $675
25k $825
40k $975

Replacement cells:

15k $215
25k $350
40k $450

Thanks for your help!

Either the 15k cell or the 25k cell will work well. The 40k cell will work, but it will be difficult to get it calibrated correctly because the adjustment steps become very large when the cell is way oversized. I don't recommend using a cell that is more than 3 times oversized.

The 25k cell should work out to be less expensive in the long run, though, given the prices you list, there isn't as much advantage to going with the 25k cell over the 15k cell as there usually is.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.