Pool is open....dripping connections...

Thinkly

Oct 12, 2009
Overland Park, KS
I just completed my first opening and everything went pretty well except for a couple things:

1. I have a Pentair FNS Plus DE filter that now has a very slowly dripping drain plug. Upon installing the drain plug i noticed that the outside of the plug itslef looked like it has been through a garbage disposal. Mainly because it looks like it has been really roughed up by the channel locks.

It became apparent why. It was very hard to screw in. I had to use a great deal of force with the channel locks to get it to go in and still it does slowly drip, maybe a drop every 30 seconds. Will this go away, or do i need a new plug?

2. I have a union at the return pipe that also drips at about the same rate. Very slow but still a drip, even though i torqued extremely hard on the union. I felt like i was going to break something.

How hard does a person have to turn on these plastic pieces? I am amazed that I still have the two dripping connections even though i have very tight fittings in my opinion.

I agree, those drain caps are a PITA to get at. There are two likely reasons you are getting the drip.

1) Dirty threads. When I am installing the cap in preparation for the season, I take an old tooth brush to the threads and ensure there is no dirt in them. I broke off a large chunk of the handle on mine simply to make it easier to get at the thread on the tank.

2) The o-ring gasket on the cap has flattened or has radial cracks. A little Teflon tape wrapped a couple times usually does the trick. If it doesn't, the o-ring on a Hayward 1022C cap is the same. This is the cap often found in pool stores to seal threaded returns and their DE and cartridge filters(though these are usually black instead of white).

Scott

In addition to what PoolGuyNJ said: Make sure you are using teflon plumbers tape on the drain plug. Unions should only need to be hand tight. Make sure the two sides are lining up properly (something might have shifted) and lube the o-ring on the union with a silicone based plumbers/pool lubricant.

JasonLion said:
In addition to what PoolGuyNJ said: Make sure you are using teflon plumbers tape on the drain plug. Unions should only need to be hand tight. Make sure the two sides are lining up properly (something might have shifted) and lube the o-ring on the union with a silicone based plumbers/pool lubricant.

Odd thing is that on one of the unions there is no O-ring and nothing rubber at all. Just two plastic pieces that mate together and are held tight together by the fittings. I thought this was odd as well, but see no place that an o ring can even go. I should have taken a picture. It is the fitting on the return line going back to the pool. It is WAY past hand tight so not sure. I had it to a very slow drip yesterday and will re-inspect today.

If the union is truly a non o-ring type, it should be a nozzle/cone type. They use compression of the nozzle into the cone to seal. The problem is that once they start to leak, replacement is about the only option. If it's the nozzle/cone type you can try to use a gasket between the flat surfaces.

Bama Rambler said:
If the union is truly a non o-ring type, it should be a nozzle/cone type. They use compression of the nozzle into the cone to seal. The problem is that once they start to leak, replacement is about the only option. If it's the nozzle/cone type you can try to use a gasket between the flat surfaces.

Mystery solved. I was missing an oring. I replaced it with a flat gasket and all is right with the world. Also removed drain plug from the filter thoroughly cleaned it, lubed the o-ring and teflon taped the threads. Low and behold no more leaks. My first pool opening was a moderate success.

Things I learned not to do:

1. When you are completely tired at the end of the day, it is not a good time to be working on stuff. Better to quit and foreget, come back the next day...with a rested mind and body.

2. Do not buy a massive screw extractor and decide that you will be able to back out a stuck loop loc anchor. Only thing i busted was the screw extractor, and a little chunk of the concrete pool deck. It just expanded the anchor till it popped some concrete and also busted. I just ground it down with a grinder and filled with silicone.

Also confirmed what i learned here, flushing the threads with water is the best way to loosen everything up.

All in all #1 was the most important. Riding a bike 25 miles, cutting down some bushes, mowing the lawn, and opening and inground pool for the first time all in one day, wasn't the best idea. They tell me I was grouchy last night! :cheers:

Thanks for all the help!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.