Plaster stains (noticed before the fill)

reefkeep

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 27, 2010
Ponte Vedra Florida
I noticed some staining in the plaster as the pool was filling, after 5 days the stains have not gotten better, worse I believe. The images below are admittedly bad, I need to take it during the day but I'm rarely at home in time to catch it. That said, I'm sure you can see what I am talking about. The pool is still being maintained by the pool builder.

stain1.jpg

stain2.jpg

stain3.jpg

My Pool builder has told me that brushing will fix it but that's not the case so far... What do you guys think?

The below is in another section of the pool, I believe it was cased by some bark that was jammed in the return.

stain4.jpg

Try a vitamin C tablet on one of the stains, hold one tablet against the stain for 30 seconds, and see what happens. If the stain vanishes around where the vitamin C tablet was you have metal stains. I don't think that is the most likely problem, but it is so easy to check for that it seems worth the effort.

Let me ask you guys another question: was your plumbing under pressure during the build? I hope this is not the case, but I have seen pools where the plumbing gets hit with a spike during forming for concrete, or a point from a jackhammer goes through a pipe, or a bad/unglued joint, etc. and once the system is fired up it draws dirt in through the break and in to the pool. It doesn't happen often, and most builders know to keep the pool under pressure, but it does happen.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
reefkeep said:
yes it was under pressure, I didn't know why until now, thank you! Can I assume they need to drain the pool to do an acid wash?

They can do an in pool acid wash (make sure they've done it before and know how to do it!). Saves an awful lot of water!

reefkeep, I agree that something does not look right :( . It first appears to me that it looks like a rust stain, but I am not an expert at this :oops: . Our pool was very blotchy at first with very few pebbles showing in the beginning. The PB said that the first 30days was very critical in brushing the pool and that the pool will look more uniform the more we brushed it. We also shocked the pool and used chlorine pucks for the first 30days. I had to do daily testing to keep the pH at 7.5 using muriatic acid which he provided.
The PB put in the plaster, smoothed out the surface, acid washed to get out cream and show some pebbles, started filling the pool immediately after. Stupid me :hammer: went for a swim when there was about 3 ft of water in the pool. I remember that the plaster was very firm and I stepped very gingerly, however the next day I saw little foot prints in the floor. I was very upset :grrrr: however the PB said not to worry :party: as the more I brush, the more uniform it will look and it will blend in. The point I am trying to make is that it may all blend in eventually. :cheers: :cheers:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.