Pump housing leaking

ddpool

Jul 20, 2008
Minnesota
I have a Hayward pump for my Above Ground Pool. I just noticed that water is slowly leaking from around the pump housing where the tube goes from the pump to the filter. It is leaking around the plastic nut. I noticed that the sealant (white in color) is broken down and I had to tighten the nut tight to the base. Should I be replacing the sealant around the threads? If so, what kind of sealant is that? Plumbers putty? Wondering what that is. Can I damage by continuing tightening it? I hate to keep on it. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Thanks! Too bad for me I already filled the pool and everything had pressure. So, in a pinch I unscrewed the fitting as far as I could, cleaned the exposed threads, wrapped teflon tape around them and screwed it down. So far so good...when it warms up I will close off the water and take apart and do correctly. Thanks again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.