Where to locate filter and pump (pics included)

Mar 25, 2010
Long Island, NY
Hello,

I am getting a new filter and reusing my old 1 HP Hayward SP. You can see where the old filter was (I moved it aside to take the picture and it went straight to the garbage). I would like to move the new filter and pump setup about 2 feet further onto the large cement pad where a shed once was. (basically right infront of where the old diving board is) Is it ok to locate it a littler further away from the 3 way valve and return. Also should I use 2" piping here (between valve and pump, pump and filter, multiport, and return lines) or will it not make a difference since the rest of my pool is plumbed in 1.5" ?(I am also replacing the valve and obviously fixing the leaky return pipe)

Thank you

DSC01580.jpg

Moving things a couple of feet should be fine. I would use pipe the same diameter as the fittings on your pump and main valve, commonly 2", for the equipment pad. 2" is more efficient, but the difference is rather small. Matching the size of the pump filter connections makes the job simpler and the price difference is minimal.

Welcome to TFP!!

I hope the valve you plan to replace is the one on the suction line! Those SP 733 valves are one of Hayward's worst products :puker: :pukel: :rant:

As Jason said, moving the equipment back a few feet is no big deal. I'd suggest using unions so you can bring the equipment in over the winter months :)

waste said:
I hope the valve you plan to replace is the one on the suction line! Those SP 733 valves are one of Hayward's worst products :puker: :pukel: :rant:

Yes that is the one I am replacing. Does pentair make quality valves? or would I be better off with a Hayward or Jandy?

Also you can see in the pic up top that the return is a few inches higher than the suction lines. Does the height difference of these matter? Should one be higher than the other or both at equal heights?

Thank you!

I personally prefer the Jandy 'Never lube' valves but the Pentair work just fine. :)

The height of the horizontal sections of the pipes is determined by the height of the ports they attach to, the pump's in-fluent port and the filter's return port. It's easier this way, as opposed to having to adjust the height with 45*s :cool:

If the new pad is not the same level as the old one, you'll probably need to do a little extra replumbing to get everything to line up correctly - but... you're replacing the valve on the suction side anyway and the new filter may be higher or lower than the old one. If you need any help with plumbing PVC pipe, just ask and we'll walk you through what and how to do it :-D

I am getting the Pentair FNS plus 36 and it has the option for 1.5 or 2 inch multivalves. My pump is a 1 HP Hayward SP and the outlets are 1.5". Should I get the 2" Multiport since I probably wont have this pump forever and just use a 1.5" threaded connection into a 1.5"-2" enlarger for both the suction and impeller side of the pump?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.