Whole house water filter

DaveNJ

LifeTime Supporter
May 22, 2007
Toms River, NJ
I have been looking at whole house filter systems. They all make great claims, but I'm skeptical. Anyone have experience or info on what system actually works well. I have city water. You might have seen Toms River in the news for cancer clusters and super fund sites.
Thanks
Dave

We are rural and have used whole house filtering for years. It does filter out some carcinogens such as nitrates, and lead, etc. down to a very small micron level. This in addition to all the rust and sediments they all take care of. I'm not sure what all else - our largest concern was the nitrates due to having a shallow well with underground flowing stream - there is a livestock farm "upstream" and spring runoff can result in well contaminations if we don't watch closely. Anyway, I know they have a very long list of carcinogens they do filter out and our County Extension Agent recommended use of one.

We have city water and a whole house filter. We have a high level of chlorine in the water (don't have a kit, so I cannot test it, but when I fill my spa tub it smells like a pool! :shock: )
We have a whole house filter from Home Depot, and use the carbon filter cartridge in it to reduce the chlorine. Works nicely for that... I don't know about the nasties you're contending with, though.

great for drinking, but what about bathing etc? Would be pretty pricey and wasteful of water for that matter, to RO your whole house...

I am a pure water freak... we have the whole house filter, a softener, and RO for drinking/cooking.

DaveNJ said:
Replumbing the house isn't that big of a problem.

then come on over! I need an extra spigot outside, and a laundry tub, and to add 2 floor drains... ;)

That system is way out of my league... we have the Home Depot model... Don't remember the cost of the housing, but the replacement cartridges (every 3 months or so) are only about $30. Then again, we are not trying to deal with toxic waste, either... :(

The Mermaid Queen,
Sorry, If you lived closer I could help you out. About 1/4 of my free time is used helping a couple of elderly neighbors maintain homes and listening to their stories. Getting closer myself. :shock: What goes around comes around.

I have a softner for whole house, RO for drinking water and ice cubes, then a hot water recirc unit. Thought about a pre-filter before softner but have been happy with what we have so far. If we had a high iron manganese issue, I would definietely do the pre-filter. I used to live in an area that had high iron in the water and did not have a pre-fiilter....didn't think we could afford it at the time and would flush toilet to lok at water color before washing white clothes. Pretty funny looking back on it now, not so when the water changed during a wash of white clothes :lol:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.