Sand Filter Question

Mar 22, 2010
Goldsboro, N.C.
I have a Hayward sand filter and this will be our third season with the new pool. Do i need to change the sand this year? If not, is there a way to clean the sand other than backwashing? If so, with what and how?

Also, the pool store always says to add the shock, baking soda,... into the deep end of the pool. However, i have read here that some pour it directly into the skimmer, which beats brushing around the bottom of the pool to be sure everything has dissolved. Is there a preferred method?

Thanks,
Stacy

I pour my liquid chlorine in front of the return flow or directly into the skimmer -always with the pump running. Same with Borax when I needed to add a little. I poured slow enough that it appeared to dissolve before it hit the bottom but I brushed after just to make sure.

There shouldn't be a need to change the sand yet - some folks go several years without changing it. It's not really necessary to "clean" it other than backwashing. Occasionally just open the filter up and check out how things look - check for channelling, etc.

There are two schools of thought on replacing sand. Some people replace their sand every 5 to 7 years, while others will go more or less forever without replacing it. Either way, there isn't normally any reason to replace your sand after only 3 years.

If you have never opened up the filter and had a look at the sand, now would be a good time to do that. It is a good idea to check the sand to make sure it isn't forming lumps, clean out any surface debris, and resettle the sand bed every two or three years. This post has a good description of how to resettle the sand.

I went out to check on looking inside my sand filter and i have a question. It looks like to take my multi-port valve off to look into my filter, i am going to have to cut my 3 pipes loose since they are connected by 1-1/2 male connectors. Am i missing something?

Thanks,
Stacy

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.