Help me decide please!

ganselmi

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 10, 2009
Roma - Italy
I'm looking for an automatic cleaner but it is not easy to uderstand which one better fit for my pool.

I've a 33x15 vinyl liner pool, regular shape (rectangle) with the following profile (the bottom one):

[attachment=1:2at9oi9t]fonds-piscine-3.jpg[/attachment:2at9oi9t]

Minimum depth is 3,5, maximum depth is 6,0

My pool uses a specific filter unit and has a pressure outlet normally used for the manual cleaning tool that may be used in conjunction with a pressure cleaner, here the picture:
[attachment=0:2at9oi9t]filtration-piscine-1.jpg[/attachment:2at9oi9t]

While looking to the market offer I may be able to select between a return pressure cleaner such as the polaris or the Pentair letro legend that has a very attractive price or an electric cleaner like the Dolphin Diagnostic/Pro or the Tigershark.

Of course the second option means spending at least twice, but if it brings additional value, I may consider investing more.

The first questions I have are regarding the cleaner features:

1) The electric cleaners should be able to scub the surface while the pressure cleaners should only sucks the debris, is that correct?

2) Is a pressure cleaner able to move with a liner surface or should I expect traction problems?

3) Is there any other concern info you may provide

Any other info or recommendation will be welcome.

Thanks to everyone

Attachments

• fonds-piscine-3.jpg
    fonds-piscine-3.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 212
  • filtration-piscine-1.jpg
    filtration-piscine-1.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 212
I've got some additional information,

My pump system provides the cleaner outlet with a pressure of 2,6 Bar (about 36 PSI) and 2mc/hour (70 ft3/hour).

I've searched several web sites but found no info on pressure/capacity requirements for pressure cleaners does anyone know something more?

1)
For the most part, all the sweeps and robots use suction to pull debris from the surface they are going over.
Robots may have two motors, one for the drive and the other to generate a flow from their bottom to the top with some filter mechanism, usually a bag, in between.
Presure side cleaners like a Polaris 280 or Legend use a venturi effect to generate the suction under them that lifts the debris. The effect is generated when jets of water shoot up into the capture bag from the sweep's throat. They also have scrubber tails that can loosen surface dirt.

2)
Both Polaris and Legend sweeps have no problems moving on a liner surface.

3)
Your pool diagram shows a safety ledge. Robots won't be able to get as close to this narrow surface where it meets the wall as well as a Polaris or Legend, due to their smaller size.

Pulling a robot requires some muscle. The long umbilical needs to be stretched out and relaxed or it will twist up. They tend to be more expensive to repair. Some failures have spewed oil from failed motors into the pool.

I personally prefer Polaris 280s and Legends.

Scott

Thanks Scott,

you're right my pool has a safety ledge around the deepest area.

Till now the pressure cleaners seems to have more advantages in my case.

Just remain now to understand which model better works with my pump system.

I'm actually evaluating 2 options:

Letro Legend that uses an higher pressure (recommended 30PSI) that I have fulfilled (36PSI) but with a 3/4"" internal diameter pipe.
Without the booster pump is offered for about $350

Letro Legend II that uses a lower pressure (recommended 17PSI)
It is offered for about $400

Does anyone knows the diameter of the Letro's hose?

Giorgio

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.