cloudy stream from filter

Mar 27, 2010
Hello all - first post, probably not the last :?

I have an in-ground plaster pool that always causes trouble for me. I installed a pentair tagelus 100D sand filter, a Whisperflow 2 speed pump, and a digital controller about 3 years ago. Last year I noticed that a little dirt and debris were coming into the pool as I vacuumed. Recently I have not been able to finish cleaning before the water clouds so much I can't see the bottom.

The Leslie guy said I either have a broken part at the bottom of the tank, or the filter has channeled?, either way I need to remove all of the sand and replace it. I got as far as cutting the pipes and installing couplers so that I can remove the top and get to the sand.

I thought I would check with you first to see if this really is the problem and best solution.

Welcome to the forum! :lol:

How many gallons in your pool?

There are several possibilities. The filter may have an internal problem and it will be hard to figure out unless you dump the sand so you can look around in there. The center pipe can be seated incorrectly or broken and allow unfiltered back to the pool. Channeling is suggested as a cause but seems to be seldom the issue.

Your multi-port valve may be letting unfiltered water back to the pool. I would inspect that as a possible cause.

Does your psi increase while you are vacuuming?

Duraleigh and I were typing at the same time so I'll just agree with him and say that since you didn't say the sand was getting in your pool it's probably not a broken lateral. I'd inspect the multiport first and go from there.

It helps us if you can put your equipment in your signature. There's a link to the user control panel under the TFP logo at the top of the page. Also if you could let us know where you're located.

There is something settling to the bottom of the pool - either sand or fine dirt? Sometimes I can see little ripples like you would see at the bottom of a stream.

What would I look for on the multi-port valve?

Take the top off the multiport valve and check to be sure the spider gasket is intact and not torn or kinked. Also take a look at the center rotating section of the valve and make sure it isn't cracked or broken.

Getting some debris on the bottom of the pool is normal, but it shouldn't be the very fine sand used in the filter.

I finally got all of the sand and PEA GRAVEL? out of the tank.

I did not know there was pea gravel used. It was surrounding the spindles to keep the sand away. Do I need to put some clean pea gravel back before I go with the sand? I do have 600 pounds of #20 silica sand ready to go.

I did not see any damage to the spindles or center pipe. There is an O ring that was laying above the crows nest that may have fit between the crows nest and pipe. The ring is too large to fit in the slot now; and I can't see what purpose it would serve being there. I can neither find a spot that it may have gone at the top of the pipe. There is the adapter that fits up to the multi-port valve but no groove any where for an O ring. Anyone know where this O ring is supposed to go?

I have to get into the valve itself to look for any damage there.

I am ready to refill the gravel and sand and start putting this thing back together.

Pea gravel is often used in the larger sand filters for the bottom third. Pentair says the Tagelus 100D can take either 600 lbs of sand or 150 lbs of pea gravel and 450 lbs of sand. If you do use pea gravel, it should be 1/8” to 1/4” diameter. Using pea gravel can improve the overall efficiency of the system and reduce the chance that a cracked lateral will leak sand into the pool, though it doesn't really make that much difference.

Either way, there should be 11 1/4" from the top of the sand to the top of the main filter housing when it is full, even if that means using a slightly different amount of sand.

Thanks JasonLion.

I found the owners manual and saw that I could use either one. I used all sand since I already had 600 pounds. Also, I wanted to see if it would make a difference.

I have it put back together and so far so good.

I have noticed that the pump will not move the water at low speed; and kicks out a lot of air when I start up in high speed. On high speed there are small air bubbles coming from the returns. My guess is that air is getting in the unions I installed when I changed out the sand.

Should I use the same sealant that I use one the filter basket lid on the union O rings and threads?

I don't think the air is getting in from the unions you installed unless you installed one on the pump suction. The unions you installed should be on the discharge side of the pump so if there were any leaks you'd be leaking water out not air in. Are you seeing air in the pump basket? A very common place to have an air leak is the pump strainer basket lid. Lube it with silicon o-ring lube and put it back on.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My filter is a top feed, so I had to cut the pump, return, and waste to get to the sand. I put unions on all three pipes. I was thinking last night that I probably should have put the unions below the waterline of the filter.

So, that being said, I should put the O ring lube on the unions?

Nearly all unions have o-rings and any o-rings you find should get some silicone lube. You should also check that the two sides of the unions are meeting cleanly. If the two sides don't met flush they usually won't seal properly. Sometimes something shifts and cants the two ends relative to each other. If that happens you have to move things around to get the two ends to line up again before they will seal properly.

randelli said:
I have noticed that the pump will not move the water at low speed; and kicks out a lot of air when I start up in high speed. On high speed there are small air bubbles coming from the returns. My guess is that air is getting in the unions I installed when I changed out the sand.

Should I use the same sealant that I use one the filter basket lid on the union O rings and threads?

If you let it run for 5-10 minutes will the air stop? I've not yet had occasion to change my sand, but I drained the filter for the winter and when I started it up again it seems like it took a good five minutes to blow the last of the air out. Although I do have a side-mount filter and a lot of pipe (~50' each way plus in-floor cleaner) so that could just be me.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.