Please check my math

May 25, 2007
Wanting to make sure I understand how to calculate energy use correctly :)

My pump draws 12 amps at 115 volts.

So-

12 x 115 = 1380 watts.

1380 / 1000 = 1.38 kwh

My electricity costs $.08618 per kwh, so

1.38 x .08618 = $.1189384 per hour to run.

12 hours daily would cost 12 x .1189384 = $1.43 or x 30 = $42.81 monthly.

24 hours would be double, or $2.86 daily and $85.80 monthly.

Right?

That looks right. The only thing to keep in mind is that pumps almost never run at exactly their rated current, they generally use less that that, but can very rarely use more than that. Without an amp meter anything you figure will be an approximation, though usually a fairly good approximation.

The easiest and most accurate measurement you can make is with your electric companies power meter on the side of your house. If it is digital, then just read the difference between the motor on and off. If it is the old style like mine, count the time it takes to make several rotations (and one rotation with the pump off) and use this formula:

Watts = kh * 3600 / (average seconds for one rotation)

Watts pump = Watts on - Watts off

kh is the meter kilowatt hour constant usually printed on the meter dial (mine is 7.2).

The problem with an amp meter is that it does not measure the phase difference between the voltage and current (i.e. power factor). A true AC power meter will but they are expensive and hard to come by.

Really what matters most is what the electric company is using to charge you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.