Solution to clean DE grids???

May 23, 2009
Hey there. I am cleaning my DE filter for the first time. I am going to pull out the elements and give them a good washing. Is there a solution I can make myself to really get them clean? I dont want to pay an arm and a leg for some solution from the pool supply store if I can make some myself. Thanks for the help!!

C5

Many people use TSP, about one cup per five gallons. You can get TSP at most hardware/home centers. I have heard people also use dishwasher powder. You may need to soak in dilute muriatic acid if there is significant calcium scaling.

Good luck.

Marc

You don't want to use acid without first using a degreasing agent like TSP. Organic oils on the filter can harden and permanently damage the filter if they are still there when you use acid. Usually TSP, or automatic dishwashing detergent, is enough to take care of everything. But if you have calcium scaling on the filter you follow the TSP with acid to remove the calcium buildup.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.