Sand Filter Leaking

Jun 18, 2007
Charleston, SC
Hey Everyone,

I was out at the pool today to clean the skimmer and noticed my sand filter was spraying a fine mist out of a pinhole crack on the side. I shut it down for fear that the whole thing might rupture and drain the pool. :cry:

I am now trying to figure out what to do as far as a filter.

Cartridge filters seem like an attractive option because when I currently backwash, I flood a small area of my yard that I would rather not (I know I could get a different length hose, but managing a 100-200' hose would be a pain in the butt).

Any suggestions on what to do? My pump still seems fine, but the combos with the pump/filter are barely more expensive than the filter alone. Any preferences on filter? I would have loved to find a combo with a 2-speed pump as an excuse to go ahead and replace my current pump with a 2-speed one, but I am having trouble doing so.

I would appreciate any thoughts, I need to order something soon. I will bypass the filter for now so I can at least keep circulation going.

I was looking at:

http://www.intheswim.com/Pool-Equipment ... und-pools/

What bothers me is that I don't need a 1.5 hp pump, but the 1.5hp pump package is $120 less than the 1hp pump one (what kind of sense is that?) I might just get this combo, then sell the 1.5hp pump and recoup some of the money.

With a sand filter, hard plumbing the waste line into a drain is the way to go.

I'm a big fan of sand for the simple maintenance. There's a lot of personal preference that goes into filter choice. If you deal with a lot of pollen or dirt in the water, a cartridge may not be your best choice.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.