polaris 280 hoses

hayfarmer

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Mar 29, 2009
eastern washington state
I am trying to get the hoses off the cleaner so i can check to see if the relief valve is working. It seems to be spraying water most of the time out of the valve... I was wondering if you even need the back up valve at all. The cleaner just does not seem to work right... how do i get the hoses off?
thanks

i got the hoses off but cant get the valve apart?

I guess I'm confused - I'm not sure which valve you are talking about. The polaris has two valves one is the back-up valve and the other is the relief valve. You do not need to take the hose apart to check the relief valve. Just un-screw it. The back-up valve should be about 8 feet from the cleaner and you do have to take the hoses off to check it. It should not be spraying water all the time and if it is you likely need a new valve. Without the back-up valve the polaris will sometimes get stuck in a corner or can spend too much time at one end of the pool and I know my 280 would not work very well (if at all) without the valve.

The relief valve is a different story. It's there to protect the booster pump in case the strainer gets completely plugged. So if you check the strainer every now and then it's not needed. I bought a new 280 last year and it would not travel as fast as it should. The wheels would not rotate as fast as the instructions said they should. After going though the troubleshooting guide in the instructions it still did not work like it should. So I called the factory and the first question they asked was if there was any water coming out the relief valve? I checked and sure enough there was a good stream of water. The factory rep said they had been having some trouble with the relief valves and sent me a new one. The new one didn't work either - it also by-passed a stream of water when the strainer was clean. So I took the valve out and replaced it with a solid plug and the cleaner worked like it should. On newer models the strainer is not inside the connector that attaches to the wall. It is a few inches down from the connector in a clear plastic enclosure so you can see if it's plugged without having to pull the screen out.

sorry about the confusion, Its the back up valve that i don't think is working right. How many minutes do you think it should be before it should spray water out of it.. Mine seems like it is spraying water about every couple of minutes. the cleaner spends most of its time in the back up mode.. spraying water... thanks so much

Mine backs up about every three minutes. Your time will depend on the flow rate to the cleaner. A higher flow rate will give less time between back ups. To check the flow rate time the RPM of the wheels. They should rotate at 28 - 32 RPM. If they are faster than that install one of the restricting orifices that came with the cleaner and check again.

well i think i found out why my Polaris was not working real well... i was looking at the tail and found out that the orifice was gone.. there was allot more water coming out then supposed to. I adjusted the flow until i can get a new one and it seems to work well...
thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.