CYA 0 and R-870 not turning pink

Sep 1, 2009
Prairieville, LA
Hello all. I guess its that time of year to get the pool ready. My pool is clear and 68 degrees. I've tested my water and its as follows.
FC 0
CC 0
TC 0
Ph 7.8
TA 80
CYA 0

I'm testing with a TF100 kit I got last year and according to the Pool Calculator, I added 16 oz of M. acid to lower Ph. When I tested for chlorine using the R-870 powder, it wouldn't turn pink. I used the blue test block and it showed 0 chlorine also. When I tested for CYA its low like 0. I will adress the CYA levels next and carefully raise chlorine.

What does it mean for the water and R-870 solution to not turn pink? No chlorine?

Thanks,
Jim

If the sample doesn't turn pink when you add R-0870 it usually means that there isn't any chlorine, but there are a couple of other things that might be happening. The simpler OTO test, drops that turn the sample various shades of yellow which are then compared to a color chart, is much more reliable at telling if there is chlorine or not. If the sample stays clear with an OTO test, then there really isn't any chlorine.

It makes sense that your FC level is zero if your CYA level is zero. When CYA is zero, chlorine gets destroyed by sunlight quite quickly. As long as your CYA level is zero, you should add 2 ppm of chlorine in the evening after the sun has set. The next step is to get started on adding CYA.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.