Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA 0 and R-870 not turning pink

1. Back To Top    #1

CYA 0 and R-870 not turning pink

Hello all. I guess its that time of year to get the pool ready. My pool is clear and 68 degrees. I've tested my water and its as follows.
    FC 0
    CC 0
    TC 0
    Ph 7.8
    TA 80
    CYA 0

I'm testing with a TF100 kit I got last year and according to the Pool Calculator, I added 16 oz of M. acid to lower Ph. When I tested for chlorine using the R-870 powder, it wouldn't turn pink. I used the blue test block and it showed 0 chlorine also. When I tested for CYA its low like 0. I will adress the CYA levels next and carefully raise chlorine.

What does it mean for the water and R-870 solution to not turn pink? No chlorine?

Thanks,
    Jim
    27' round AG, 17,000 gallons, sand filter, 1 1/2hp motor, new BBB user

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CYA 0 and R-870 not turning pink

Sounds like no chlorine to me.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy76
    What does it mean for the water and R-870 solution to not turn pink? No chlorine?

Thanks,
    Jim

Yep - here is what my instructions say. "If free chlorine is present, sample will turn pink." So I think one can assume that no pink = no FC.
    25' x 13' Roman, 12000 gal IGP, Plaster, with 500 gal Spa
    SWG, 1 HP Max Flo Pump, C-900 cartridge filter
    Solar heat

4. Back To Top    #4

If the sample doesn't turn pink when you add R-0870 it usually means that there isn't any chlorine, but there are a couple of other things that might be happening. The simpler OTO test, drops that turn the sample various shades of yellow which are then compared to a color chart, is much more reliable at telling if there is chlorine or not. If the sample stays clear with an OTO test, then there really isn't any chlorine.

It makes sense that your FC level is zero if your CYA level is zero. When CYA is zero, chlorine gets destroyed by sunlight quite quickly. As long as your CYA level is zero, you should add 2 ppm of chlorine in the evening after the sun has set. The next step is to get started on adding CYA.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Cool, that's what I was guessing. Thanks for the help.
    Jim
    27' round AG, 17,000 gallons, sand filter, 1 1/2hp motor, new BBB user