Will this work ok?

Jimbo

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 15, 2007
Summerton, SC
After reading some of the topics about problems with the Intex pumps, I have an opportunity to pick up a used Pentair SD-35 with a 3/4hp Dynamo pump for $100. It had been used two seasons and looked practically new. Will this work as a replacement and improvement over the Intex?

Additionally, I'm thinking it would be a good thing to dump the sand that is in it and start with some new sand. It appears that at some point the filter was upended and I also want to make sure the 6-way valve doesn't have sand in it.

For those that have already retired their Intex pumps, did you remove the valves from the hoses? How did you attach the hoses? Did you use a hose kit for the new pump and modify the Intex connections?

I'm trying to decide if I want to do this or just stick with the Intex.

#1) probably almost anything is better than the itty bitty filters they sell with the Intex pools unless you upgrade to the largest one they have and even that is only good for the smaller pools (7500 gals)

#2) Why get rid of the sand? If you have to clean it out, you can save it and use again. The multiport should come off or already be off, clean it out well and try it out - the laterals and standpipe are where I would wonder about damage or issues if the filter was upended or sideways.....maybe do clean it out, but sand can be rinsed with water and bleached, reused.

#3) you can put adaptors on those valves pretty easily from your local Home Depot or Lowes, etc., in the plumbing dept. When we had an Intex pool years ago, we upgraded the filter and we used the black rubber connectors with hose clamps. Good strong seal with those, they lasted several seasons. We use them now on to connect our solar system to our filter, etc.

#2) Why get rid of the sand? If you have to clean it out, you can save it and use again. The multiport should come off or already be off, clean it out well and try it out - the laterals and standpipe are where I would wonder about damage or issues if the filter was upended or sideways.....maybe do clean it out, but sand can be rinsed with water and bleached, reused.

Because it appears to have fallen over, I was thinking I would need to take the top off anyway to make sure everything is as it should be and might as well replace the sand while I was at it. I'll definitely take a look at recycling it too.

Thanks for the info on the fittings. I was thinking that I should be able to do something like that. I think the hoses that came with the Intex are kind of thin so I would want to use some better quality hoses when I hook this pump and filter up.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.