Help with stuck loop lock anchors

Thinkly

Oct 12, 2009
Overland Park, KS
cover-anchors-t17409.html

I have read that thread and others and yet i am still stumped by my loop loc anchors. I bought some screw extractors at lowes but that didn't work. First they were too small, didn't seem to sell any larger ones. Secondly it seems like they just mill up the brass into tiny millings anyway and never take a grip.

I tried every tool in the garage and you can see what is left...not much. So now what do i do. I am tempted to fill it with something so nobody stubs there toe in it and forget it. Problem is i still have to take the cover off and know there are a bunch of tight ones.

I have some replacement anchors in the garage but can't get this stubborn one out!

img0026ar.jpg

img0025sl.jpg

How to make you own, yet crude, anchor extractors:

Items Needed:

Thread Taps - Make sure to get the one that has a flat end. The pointed end ones don't go down far enough.

3/8 tap to make threads. Works with all anchors that use a 5/16" Allen key and threaded anchors.

5/16" tap for Anchor brand cover anchors. They have a smaller Allen key holes.

5/8" tap for removing Pop-Up style anchor casings used by some Meyco brand covers.

Tee handle for taps

5" Long Grade 8 hardened bolts for the above sizes. Fully threaded! Hard to find. Sometimes I just get some std. threaded rod and cut it to size. These don't last long though as the metal tends to strip due to the stress. When cutting to the desired length, do it between two hardened nuts to cleanly open the threads after cutting.

1" x 3" long black pipe nipple

Some washers to fit the hardened bolts and able to cover the rim of the black pipe.

Hardened nuts for the bolts

Instructions:

1) Tap the hole, slowly, in a twisting motion, backing out some before going deeper. This keeps the cutting edges of the tap free of grindings. Remove the tap when the desired depth is attained.

2) Place the 1" pipe over the anchor

3) Thread the hardened nut and washers on the bolt. Use more than one washer.

4) Thread the bolt or rod on the anchor fully.

5) Tighten the nut. The pressure will lift the anchor and casing from the concrete into the pipe.

The old anchor and casing should be replaced with a new one.

Scott

I have anchors like this except they are the threaded kind. I had one snap this past winter due to the weight of the snow on the cover.

I got mine out by first having to take a torch and warm up the anchor cause it was winter. Once I did that, I took a hammer and punch and bent the sides of the brass anchor into itself. Then I took 2 very large vise grips and attached it to both sides of the anchor and worked that succer out of the hole.

Another option is if you have the threaded pop out anchors, then you can just use a impact driver and use that so it spins free in the cement hole. That works the best but the above method does work as I have used both to get my anchors out.

Good luck and let us know if you get it out!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.