ANOTHER newbie question

Aug 17, 2009
New pool and having trouble keeping PH up. I was anticipating having issues keeping PH down. IS that usual for a new build? I have a feeling that when we get the SWG going it could balance itself pretty good. PH at a 7.0. Water in the pool for about 20 days is it safe to add borates?

You could try aerating the water more by pointing the returns up -- that might help. Or you could explicitly add a base to raise the pH, such as adding 20 Mule Team Borax. It's really strange to have the pH be dropping when you're using chlorinating liquid or bleach (or Cal-Hypo or lithium hypochlorite). Very strange, indeed.

Where are you located?
Have you gotten a lot of rain lately?
The reason I ask is that the rain here is low pH and we've gotten a bunch of it. I've had to pump a lot of water of and have subsequently been fighting low pH more than normal because of it lately.

Is it possible that your test reagents are expired?

Not saying that you do :-D , but many of us have a slight color blindness and find the test a little difficult to read.
Is more than one person seeing the test color and agreeing on the pH?

Just throwing out some ideas, since your pH seems to be an enigma.

Asked my wife to tell the PBer a week ago that the PH was low. She did and his response was "Id call your pool guy to fix it- OH- your pool guy is your husband (me)." Sounds like the pool is now under our care right?. Well what I just figured out was that the pool is under our care BUT he put a gallon of acid in the pool the day before. Dropped the PH to 7.0. It is now back up to 7.5 as of this morning. Situation normal- minus the communication on that one.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.