Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: The Arduino - Intex SWG

1. Back To Top    #1

The Arduino - Intex SWG

Intex - inexpensive SWG unit with limited control.
    Arduino - an open-source electronics prototyping platform based on flexible, easy-to-use hardware and software. It's intended for artists, designers, hobbyists, and anyone interested in creating interactive objects or environments.

Yank out the "brain" of the Intex and insert an Arduino in its place. Now you have everything you need to build it the way you want it. I posted the program that I am using at - http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/...num=1269366253
    You are invited to look at it, play with it, laugh at it, and me, too, if you want!
    You can modify it to do what ever you want to, as long as you can write the right code! It isn't hard to do, is fun to learn, and you can say that you did it yourself!
    I really like the start delay, maybe one of the "big boys" will see that is a good idea, too!
    22 x 40 IG vinyl lined, 23,570 gal.
    1 hp. Pac-Fab Challenger pump 300# sand filter
    Intex 8110 SWG, Hayward CL220 offline feeder
    Hayward 250K Btu gas heater
    Aquabots

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: The Arduino - Intex SWG

what do you mean by "start delay"?

A lot of of SWGs don't start straight away, they self test first and then gradually ramp up until reach preset level.

3. Back To Top    #3

what do you mean by "start delay"?
    Having the delay just lets me use the one clock/timer, and know that if it drifts, it doesn't matter.

With the original controls, I had it set to come ON 1-2 hours after the pump did, but the drifting clocks would advance enough to have the unit come ON before the pump, and then it would err on "No Flow" and need to be reset, not generating any chlorine, even after the pump kicked ON. Any momentary blip in the power would also reset it.
    I now have this plugged into an outlet that is powered along with the pump by a simple Intermatic timer. I have the pump set to come ON at 3 in the afternoon, and the SWG delay 3 hours. I get home from work after 5, so when I take a test sample, the water is "stirred" a little bit, and as long as I get it before 6, no chlorine has been added to my sample. Also the sun is off the pool by 6, so what the SWG is adding isn't losing to the sun.
    I can also turn the pump ON to vacuum, (or for any other reason) for up to 3 hours (more if you cycle it) with out adding chlorine.

Having it remember what it is programmed to run is what I really wanted, and a self correcting flow error.
    I scrapped the salinity test circuitry, so it won't err on LOW or HIGH salt either, but there are still fuses for current limiting. The green LED is powered across the cell, so if a fuse blows it won't be ON. I keep track of additions that I make to the pool, so I can be fairly accurate calc'ing the salinity on paper, and it seems that most of the posted salt errors people have aren't caused by salt level, but by some other factor.

I started trying to modify my program to use a % control, but gave up because I am NOT a programmer, and keeping track of the cell ON time, and reverse time was stumping me, and because I was satisfied with what I have ( the KISS principle.) I am thinking of changing the cell reversal time to only change polarity every-other run (or longer,) as I don't have much calcium build-up and am aware that cell life is longer with out the reversals (the owners manual said that it reversed every 20 hours, but I doubt that it could remember that long.)
    I also thought about adding a LCD to replace the seven-segment LED displays. That would allow displaying much more info, like volts, amps, etc.., (and would actually simplify the program code,) but would require modifying the packaging.

If anyone wants to pick up the ball and run with it, I'd be happy to share what little I know about it!
    Aquabots

4. Back To Top    #4

I modified my program to only reverse polarity (self-clean) every x runs, instead of doing it 1/2 through every run. It's posted on the Arduino forum. Now with it set to run 4 hours/day and self clean every 5 run cycles it will be 20 hours between cleanings, which is what Intex says it does stock.

I'm still messing around with a counting program that will track actual operation time and time between cleanings, to get to a % power control, but I still get myself lost in the if..else forest.

I've also discussed putting in another relay that would control the power to the pump, and shut it off if the flow sensor doesn't detect flow within a set start time.

Always welcome any discussions or help. How do you think an Intex Electronic Chloorine Generator (IECG) should operate?
    Aquabots