plants vegitation planted at pools edge

I recently completed the construction of our new salt water pool, only then to consider the possible problems that I may have with spill over of the pool water. I love to garden and have a yard full of plants that I transplanted before the excavation to safe areas away from the construction. The plan was/is to replant many of them at waters adge. My pool design is without a deck on 1 half of the pool, just a 12" coping. I am now wondering if I sould build the coping taller to retain the spill over. My builder told me that 3000ppm salt content is ideal and that the Ocean is around 6500ppm so that the salt should not be an issue. But I need more than his opinion to satisfy my concerns and risk losing hundreds on dollars in plants and hours of work.
Lance

The ocean is around 35,000 ppm salt, a salt pool is nowhere near that. Generally pool water will be fine for plants, however a few plants are far less salt tolerant than others. You might want to look up the salt tolerance of the particular plants you are using. The other thing to keep in mind is that over very long periods of time salt can accumulate in soil. So you might have problems in twenty or thirty years even if everything is fine right now.

With the amount of rain we get in this area I don't think you'll ever have a problem.

What types of plants? I have wax leaf ligustrum, crape myrtle, lantana, tea olive, ophiopogon, hydrangea, loropetalum, india hawthorne, liriope, star jasmine, asiatic jasmine, a medium sized oak, and figs near my pool and none seem any worse for the saltwater, The ophiopogon, hydrangeas, and oak have gotten a bunch of it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.