Rewire timer?

guamguy

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 26, 2010
Guam, USA
Hi everyone. I've finally got my new (to me) pool water balanced and I've experimented with pump run times and it looks like I need about a 5 hour run time to keep the water nice and clear. My equipment includes 2 pumps, one for the pool, and another for the spill-over spa. There is a 2-circuit Intermatic timer that controls both pumps at the same time. I don't want to run the spa pump all the time, due to the increase in alkalinity the spillover causes, plus the increased electric use. I tried shutting off the breaker for the spa pump and leaving the pool pump breaker on, but it looks like they wired the power for the timer clock to come from the spa pump circuit :hammer: Should I just switch the wiring inside the timer so the clock gets power from the pool pump circuit and use the breaker to control the spa pump, or should I completely remove the spa pump from the timer and hook up a 240v switch to run the spa?

Personally I'd add a second timer and the timer(s) should be on their own circuit, but the scenario you propose should work as well. If you don't mind manually running the spa pump all the time a switch would be an inexpensive solution. Just keep in mind that you need to run the spa at some regular interval to keep the chemistry balanced and you might not want to do that every time. That's why I suggested the second timer.

I admit I'm relatively new to pools with spillover spas, but your situation is different from any I've seen. Are you sure that the second pump is not just for the spa jets? I'm thinking the second spa only pump is NOT causing the spillover, but the main pool/spa pump is. Typically one pump is for both pool and spa circulation with volumes set using valves. Its usually set up so suction is only from the pool, but return is to both pool and spa, thus creating the spillover. If it is like you've explained, then you'd have 2 pumps taking water from the same inlet - the pool, which does not make sense unless you have a 2.5 to 3" PVC pipe.

Hi, thanks for the replys. To answer the question about the pumps, there IS a pool-only pump, and a spa-only pump. The spa pump has it's own seperate suction in the deep end of the pool. All of the water that's pumped into the spa goes over the spillover back into the pool. There is no pump suction in the spa. I know it's kind of a strange setup, I've never seen anything like it, either. BTW, all of the plumbing is 2" PVC.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.