another basic question (I know nothing!)

ellava

Jul 25, 2007
Is it appropriate to run the pump all the time (as I have been doing) or should it run only during part of the day or during specific time periods? I have been given a great deal of differing advice when I ask this question of friends with pools and at my pool supply store. I'm in the Hampton Roads Virginia area, have an 18' ag pool with a sand filter. Thank you!

Ellava,

I have been given a great deal of differing advice when I ask this question of friends with pools and at my pool supply store.

This may sound a little pompous because you've just come to the forum but you will receive the best advice possible here. There are some truly experienced and smart folks here who can answer CORRECTLY virtually any question you may have about pools. (I am probably the exception to the "smart" category :lol: )

I bring this up because, if you do the conversion, that takes some very specific advice and I encourage you to use this forum to the maximum during that conversion period. If you go to the pool store looking for the "magic bullet" that will make your pool perfect, you will probably be disappointed.

I have absolutely nothing against pool stores........however, over the years I have learned the advice on this forum is consistently the best you will receive anywhere and no one will try to sell you anything.

Thanks to all of you. I have a better understanding already of why my pump hasn't lasted without a major problem for much longer! I kept reading that the pump should work for 5-8 years and we're having a major problem (I think) already. I will run it periodically instead of constantly once the conversion is finished. You guys seem to have such a good handle on these things!

actually if you are concerned about the life of your pump then running it all the time is better than turning it on and off a few times a day. if you are concerned about your electric bill then cut it back to 8-12 hours a day. Ideally your pool maintains itself better the longer you can run it and you will save some money on chemicals too.

poolio said:
Ideally your pool maintains itself better the longer you can run it and you will save some money on chemicals too.
Not necessisarily true. If there are any water features that are aerating the pool this could cause pH to rise quicker if the pump is run for a longer time and if you have a SWG or inline chlorinator then your pump run time is one of the factors that will influence your FC readings, just to give a few examples, so each pool really needs to be looked at individually since there really is no "one size fits all" when it comes to how long to run the pump. The size of the pump and filter also need to be taken into consideration vs. the size of the pool.

Pump doesn't have to be run continuous 24/7, unless you're fighting an algae problem. The main focus should be the turnover rate (how long for entire pool water to be cycled through the filter). Should take between 6-8 hours depending on your equipment and pool size.

Advice i've read on forums differ. Some say at least 1 turnover per day, some say 2.

I just adapt to the weather. 1 turnover a day is fine for clear pleasant weather. I'll run 2 turnovers if it's been raining a lot. If i'm adding chemicals i'll run it 24hrs for a day or so.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
KurtV said:
poolio said:
actually if you are concerned about the life of your pump then running it all the time is better than turning it on and off a few times a day...

I really doubt that's true. What is your basis for that statement?

I know with aging computer hard drives, the starting and stopping is when bearings fail. We have had old SCSI arrays at work that they are afraid to power down because once they stop spinning, there is a good chance they will freeze and never spin up again.

Of course a pool pump is not a hard drive... :lol:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.