Initial test results. Please recommend next step.

pcdds

Mar 12, 2010
Phoenix AZ
Hello TFP members,

As a new pool owner, I just finished my first test. The results are follows:
FC 0 :shock: (water stays clear when i add the powder in and swirl)
CC 0
TA 230
pH 7.8
CH 420
CYA 20

My initial thought is that I need to:
1. Add chlorine for sure
2. Lower TA (to prevent scaling? current CSI at 0.88 :cry: )
3. Lower pH (same reason above)
4. CH - I have hard tape water, is 420 acceptable if I can adjust TA and pH to lower CSI?
5. Increase CYA (is HD good place for cyanuric acid? any other B&M store to recommend?)

My question is which one should I start with? Any preferred order I should follow to make things a little bit easier?
I was thinking about add cyanuric acid first, this may also help to lower pH a little bit?
Then I will add bleach. Since I do not have any CC and algae issues, should I still bring it up to shock level or just regular ones?
I will balance TA and pH at the end.
Correct me if anything does not make sense here. All recommendations are greatly appreciated :cheers:

One additional question: How should I deal with water in the spa? I can set the valves to:
Circulate water in the spa - does not get any chemical from pool water
Pump water out of the spa into the pool
Pump water out of the pool to fill the spa - keep switch back and forth between those two?

Sorry for so many questions in one post :blah: , Thanks again for all your help!

1. how new is new? How long has the FC been zero (as best you can guess)? see below
2 and 3 Retest the TA and wipe the tip of the bottle with a damp cloth in between drops to eliminate possible static interference.
If it's still high, then read and follow the instructions in "How to Lower TA" in Pool School.
4. 420 is manageable if you keep PH and TA in range.
5. Home Depot is fine, just make sure the active ingredient is CYA at least 90%

Start with the PH/TA, wait an hour after adding acid before adding bleach/chlorine (the two don't mix, LOL)
Add enough chlorine to reach 3ppm, and then do an overnight test. IF the FC holds overnight, or you lose more than 1ppm, then yes, you'll need to shock. But test first to confirm if its necessary.

The spa jets will help in the lowering TA process, so circulate back and forth to get the TA down (if it's really 230). As for everyday, I assume (but have no personal experience) that you can treat the spa stand alone and add chlorine independently. But others 'in the know' will contradict me if I'm wrong!!! :)

Thanks for looking through my questions. After ignoring my pool for almost a month and half, I am finally ready to start working on it :whoot:

frustratedpoolmom said:
1. how new is new? How long has the FC been zero (as best you can guess)? see below
I just moved in the house (w the pool) for 1.5 months. The seller's agent had some basic service done (clean up leafs, adjust chemistry) before the final work through. So I will guess the FC has been zero for about a month.
2 and 3 Retest the TA and wipe the tip of the bottle with a damp cloth in between drops to eliminate possible static interference. Will do the retest and see what happens.
If it's still high, then read and follow the instructions in "How to Lower TA" in Pool School.
4. 420 is manageable if you keep PH and TA in range.
5. Home Depot is fine, just make sure the active ingredient is CYA at least 90%

Start with the PH/TA, wait an hour after adding acid before adding bleach/chlorine (the two don't mix, LOL)
Add enough chlorine to reach 3ppm, and then do an overnight test. IF the FC holds overnight, or you lose more than 1ppm, then yes, you'll need to shock. But test first to confirm if its necessary.
Sound a good starting point, will do that.
The spa jets will help in the lowering TA process, so circulate back and forth to get the TA down (if it's really 230). As for everyday, I assume (but have no personal experience) that you can treat the spa stand alone and add chlorine independently. But others 'in the know' will contradict me if I'm wrong!!! :)

Ok, you can't shock (which I believe you will have to do) while you are trying to tackle the PH/TA - and that's important to prevent scale. So def tackle PH/TA first. Using the spa to aerate to adjust the PH will speed up the process so that's good.

In the meantime, each evening, pour in one small jug of 6% bleach and allow it to circulate - remember an hour in between acid/bleach additions. The addition of chlorine will prevent things from turning too green while you tackle the PH. Anytime the FC goes above 10 the PH may read false high, so never try to adjust PH when the FC is above 10.

hope that makes sense. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.